Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Thomas <da...@sasdatalink.com> on 2003/10/05 00:29:54 UTC

RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

We have an application that we have been suing Apache 1.3 with Tomcat
3.3 with for a while and I would like to test out using our app with
Tomcat 4 and RedHats default install of Apache 2. I have found a few
'how tos' on the subject but they all seem to be a bit dated and do not
apply to the current release of Tomcat and mod_jk2. Can anyone suggest
any docs or offer any info on this subject?

Also, how if the performance for Tomcat 4 vs Tomcat 3?

Thanks for any info,
Dave Thomas
dave@sasdatalink.com

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by sr...@g88.net.
mmillson> I have always heard it's better to compile Apache from
mmillson> source vs. using the rpms, but no one has ever quantified
mmillson> the advantages to doing this.  Until someone does, and the
mmillson> advantages of compiling from source outweigh the advantages
mmillson> I've listed below for using the rpms, I still recommend
mmillson> using the rpms.
mmillson>
mmillson> There must be advantages to compiling Apache from
mmillson> source. Anyone want to be the advocate for this and explain
mmillson> why/when to compile from source?

The most compelling reason to compile your own server is to
incorporate local source-level modifications.  Even if it's something
simple, like changing HARD_SERVER_LIMIT, or suexec settings.

Another reason would be to have more control over the installation
process.  Suppose you had an arrangement like this

  httpd -> apache-1.3.27
  apache-1.3.24/
  apache-1.3.26/
  apache-1.3.28/

Each versioned directory is a separate ServerRoot, and "httpd" is a
symbolic link to the currently active one.  To roll forward, repoint
the symlink, and restart the server.  To back out an upgrade, repoint
the symlink, and restart the server.  Changing the active version can
be done in a matter of seconds, and with very little disruption.

This sort of "symlink to active version" technique is common approach
for handling versioned installations, while maintaining a uniform path
for scripts, etc to use.  This isn't specific to apache; you can the
approach with any piece of softare: bind, sendmail, ant, tomcat,
emacs, java, or whatever.

dthomas> I would also like to know some facts on this. I need to
dthomas> maintain many Linux boxes running Apache and Tomcat...having
dthomas> the ability to update Apache with a plain RPM from RedHat is
dthomas> a huge bonus.

When you build an apache with the standard ("Apache") layout, the
--prefix directory contains an entire server installation.  The job
is then to put a copy of that directory tree on a each of the servers
that need it.  There are tools like rdist(1) that are designed
specifically for this purpose.  This isn't a bad write-up

  http://www.benedikt-stockebrand.de/rdist-intro.html

The second edition of the Unix Systems Adminstrators Handbook

  http://www.bookpool.com/.x/esf5tdpqim/sm/0130206016

had a chapter on file distribution.  Hopefully that chapter made it
into the third edition.  If so, it's also worth a read.

Given the choice of using an RPM vs. building your own, there are
advantages and disadvantages to either approach.  Ultimately, it's a
matter of weighing them out and determining what works best in your
particular situation.

--
Steve

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
My reasons:

- source has the fixes first...critical on production servers,
especially for security fixes.  With source, you don't wait for Red Hat
to release something.  A lag of several days can mean the difference
between weathering a storm and spending the weekend scrolling through
logs and compiling forensic evidence for lawyers.  The most recent
OpenSSH fix is a perfect example of this...all of my Red Hat servers
were patched by 9 AM the morning after the fix by building from
source...it was several days before Red Hat got around to releasing the
RPM for the same thing.

- source means you don't fight with everyone else in the world to
download the RPM when RH releases it on the Red Hat network.  Many
organizations have policies that prohibit installing RPMs from any other
source...a corporate security officer would be nuts to let admins
install RPMs with doubtful pedigrees.  Imagine someone setting up a "RPM
mirror site" that has the RPM you need, only its their "special
version".  How would you know?  Most people don't know how to check.

- source means you put the files where you want them to be.  Everyone
has their own system, as does every company (or they should).  With
RPMs, the files go where the RPM maintainer wants to put them...this may
or may not fit your environment...it rarely does on my systems.  You can
spend more time reconciling the differences (and dependencies) than you
do just building from source.

- source means you know EXACTLY what was done to your system, you are
not relying on someone else...this is key if you are sleeping next to a
pager every night.

- source means you keep your installation tracking with the
authoritative source.  I spent almost an hour explaining to an auditor
why my Apache's version numbers didn't match Red Hat's...the auditor
felt that RH's version number was the "safest" version number and that
any later versions released by Apache.org were "beta".  His port scanner
found a later version number and kicked out a red flag.  I don't have an
hour to hold someone's hand.

RPMs are great.  I use them for things I don't really want to spend the
time to learn inside and out, like GNOME or whatever, typically
desktop-level packages.  Package maintenance systems are necessary for
any environment with a multitude of systems.  However, when it comes to
publicly accessible web services (Apache, BIND, MTAs, etc), I build from
source.  Its not right or wrong, its just right for me.  I think I got
spoiled after administering a slew of *BSD systems for a couple of
years...the ports tree is the shiznit.

John

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by Mike Millson <mm...@meritonlinesystems.com>.

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Hi Mike !

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by Mike Millson <mm...@meritonlinesystems.com>.

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by "mail@adventureforum.net" <ma...@adventureforum.net>.

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by Dave Thomas <da...@sasdatalink.com>.
I would also like to know some facts on this. I need to maintain many
Linux boxes running Apache and Tomcat...having the ability to update
Apache with a plain RPM from RedHat is a huge bonus.

Thanks,
Dave Thomas

Re: RH9's Apache 2 and Tomcat 4

Posted by Mike Millson <mm...@meritonlinesystems.com>.