Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kristiyan Marinov <kr...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/25 13:04:55 UTC

Corrupted download mirror?

Hi all,

I had to download a few different Maven versions today and noticed that
each time I downloaded a binary distribution from the
http://apache.igor.onlinedirect.bg/ mirror Google Chrome rejected it as a
malicious file. Switching the mirror to http://apache.cbox.biz/ produced no
such complaints from Chrome.

Has anyone else noticed such issues? Could there be something wrong with
the mirror?

Cheers,
Kristiyan

Re: Corrupted download mirror?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
Sorry, I thought he originally meant a mirror of Maven Central not a mirror of Apache.

On Jun 27, 2014, at 5:52 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 27 juin 2014 17:36:17 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>>>
>>> -1
>>
>> Really? Do you check the other mirrors? I don't think any of us do? We
>> should but we don't as far as I know. If it's an official mirror then
>> what's the standard? If someone goes "Hey, I want to be a mirror" and we
>> call them an official mirror and they fill it with malicious artifacts we
>> would be none the wiser.
> it's ASF mirror, with ASF policy, that works for more than Apache Maven
>

>> I at least know what happens with the current Maven Central machines, and
>> I'm reasonably assured of the security. Note I'm not affiliated with
>> Sonatype anymore, I just know they have a good IT staff.
> notice I'm affiliated with ASF and I know they have a good IT staff too: that
> does not mean that other organization don't have good IT staff
> But since it's Apache Maven, as member of Maven PMC, I just need to remember
> users that Apache dist area (with its mirrors) is the official Apache
> distribution area for any Apache project
>
> I know we have another good distribution space with central
>

>> So I stand by my claim that I would not use anything but the primary because
>> there is no vetting process whatsoever.
> yes: primary = Apache dist (which contains signatures to check against to be
> sure that nothing wrong happened)
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>

>>> apache.igor.onlinedirect.bg is an official Apache mirror [1]
>>> so this is an official source to download Maven
>>>
>>> I just tried and didn't have any problem: perhaps there was a
>>> synchronization issue
>>> in any case, you sould take time to check signature to verify nothing has
>>> been damaged
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.apache.org/mirrors/#bg

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
>> is responsible for the quality of the whole
>>
>> -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

Re: Corrupted download mirror?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I am running into similiar issue where at home, I am not able to download a
particular artifact ( maven-scm-provider-cvsexe, and release plugin needs
it )

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-446

Could be  CDN issue at my San Jose, CA area with Comcast?

-D

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.