Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by J Ross Nicoll <jr...@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk> on 2009/11/11 16:47:39 UTC

I know people don't read the documentation, but this is absurd...

The minimal and demo distributions of Jetspeed 2.2.0 both contain the LICENSE.txt, README.html and RELEASE-NOTES.txt from JGoodies, and not, in fact, JPortal! That's:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/portals/jetspeed-2/binaries/jetspeed-installer-minimal-2.2.0.jar
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/portals/jetspeed-2/binaries/jetspeed-installer-demo-2.2.0.jar

Linked from http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/download.html Signatures on both archives confirmed as good, made by "David Sean Taylor <ta...@apache.org>"

For example:

bash-3.2$ ls
LICENSE-ant-install.txt README.html             build.xml               javax                   resources
LICENSE.txt             RELEASE-NOTES.txt       database.zip            license                 tomcat-portal.zip
META-INF                antinstall-config.xml   images                  org
bash-3.2$ head RELEASE-NOTES.txt

                    JGoodies Looks, Version 1.2.2
                            Release Notes

INTRODUCTION

    This maintenance release fixes a bug and cleans up some code.

---

Please CC all MMS related e-mails to fixit-mms@st-andrews.ac.uk.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: No
SC013532.

Re: I know people don't read the documentation, but this is absurd...

Posted by J Ross Nicoll <jr...@cs.st-andrews.ac.uk>.
On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:21, David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2009, at 7:47 AM, J Ross Nicoll wrote:
>
>> The minimal and demo distributions of Jetspeed 2.2.0 both contain
>> the LICENSE.txt, README.html and RELEASE-NOTES.txt from JGoodies,
>> and not, in fact, JPortal! That's:
>

> What do you mean by "and not, in fact, JPortal!"
Sorry, I've been working with uPortal, and managed to blend Jetspeed and uPortal in my head. What I meant is that if you unpack the JAR (sorry, my first instinct with any archive is to unpack it), the immediately visible documentation is for a completely different project.

> We somehow indirectly use the JGoodies jar in our installer:
>
> http://antinstaller.sourceforge.net/
>
> To be honest Im not even sure why JGoodies is needed, or what it does.
> Just doing my best to obey licensing requirements. Ant Installer seems
> to require it. In the next release I'll see if I can remove it. Really
> hope I didn't do something wrong. Sorry if Im being daft, but why is
> this 'absurd'? What does JPortal have to do with JGoodies and the Ant
> Installer anyway?

No, this is mostly me not reading the documentation on the website, and so trying to unpack rather than run the installer, or I would have got into this confusion. I figured out later on what I'd done wrong, should have sent an update e-mail, apologies. Still, it would be good if the documentation in the top directory of the JAR was for Jetspeed, and any other project's documentation was kept elsewhere. Does that make more sense?
---

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.