Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> on 2006/02/06 17:50:53 UTC

[FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Well, since it looks nearly impossible for the 'space' votes to catch
up with the 'no space' votes, Karl and I have decided to fork
Subversion.

Sorry, it was necessary for the good of the project.  You can read all
about our fork here:

  http://www.red-bean.com/sws

... it includes a very special set of features, too.  Hope you'll all join us.

-Ben

Re: [FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Posted by "Ph. Marek" <ph...@bmlv.gv.at>.
On Monday 06 February 2006 19:25, Julian Foad wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > Well, since it looks nearly impossible for the 'space' votes to catch
> > up with the 'no space' votes, Karl and I have decided to fork
> > Subversion.
> Aww, soft, cuddly, padded code - how cute!
>
> > ... it includes a very special set of features, too.  Hope you'll all
> > join us.
>
> Sure, each time I contribute code to the mainline, I'll filter out the
> spaces and contribute them separately to your fork (I'm sure you'll be
> happy to do the merge).
But I thought that one of the first features would be a change in hook
management - so that the commit hooks can do reformatting of code, then tell
the client what changed, so that this repository will always stay proper and
clean ...
Then you won't need to reformat - just check-in, and nobody will be harmed.

Regards,

Phil

Re: [FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Well, since it looks nearly impossible for the 'space' votes to catch
> up with the 'no space' votes, Karl and I have decided to fork
> Subversion.
>
> Sorry, it was necessary for the good of the project.  You can read all
> about our fork here:
>
>   http://www.red-bean.com/sws

Aww, soft, cuddly, padded code - how cute!

> ... it includes a very special set of features, too.  Hope you'll all join us.

Sure, each time I contribute code to the mainline, I'll filter out the spaces
and contribute them separately to your fork (I'm sure you'll be happy to do the
merge).

:-)

- Julian

Re: [FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Well, since it looks nearly impossible for the 'space' votes to catch
> up with the 'no space' votes, Karl and I have decided to fork
> Subversion.

You forgot to mention that the new project is sponsored by the People's
Front of Judea (or was it the Popular Front, I can't keep them
straight)... ;-)

	http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Life_of_Brian

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: [FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Posted by Hojin Choi <ho...@gmail.com>.
So,
Now does it work? already forked?
I can't find any sws related next links from that site.

If it is realized in future, is some code beutifier (e.g. indent)
going to be deploied for automation?

Thanks. :)

Posted by Jim Blandy <ji...@red-bean.com>.
On 2/6/06, Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org> wrote:
> One must always remember to "know" the outcome before asking for a "vote"
> otherwise you may get exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for.
> ;^)  (Just look at some other recent elections...)

They've got to be protected,
all their rights respected,
'till somebody we LIKE can be elected!
 --- Tom Lehrer, "Send the Marines", in 1965 for goodness' sake

Re: [FORK] Subversion-With-Space

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Well, since it looks nearly impossible for the 'space' votes to catch
> up with the 'no space' votes, Karl and I have decided to fork
> Subversion.

One must always remember to "know" the outcome before asking for a "vote"
otherwise you may get exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for.
;^)  (Just look at some other recent elections...)

At least with a fork running around merge management will be forthcoming ;^)

> Sorry, it was necessary for the good of the project.  You can read all
> about our fork here:
>
>   http://www.red-bean.com/sws
>
> ... it includes a very special set of features, too.  Hope you'll all join us.

*grin* - But I thought you wanted spaces after the function and before
the parens.  Your release talks about spaces before the function:

	"SPACES before function calls"

--
Michael Sinz                     Technology and Engineering Director/Consultant
"Starting Startups"                                mailto:michael.sinz@sinz.org