Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/06 21:47:04 UTC

[OT] incubator disclaimer best practice [WAS Re: XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote]

On 2/6/07, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > the incubation disclaimer is in the README.txt not as convention as in
> > a NOTICE or DISCLAIMER but fine. the README reads well so that is a
> > good home.
>
> Actually, I disagree with Robert on this, but I don't think it makes a
> difference to this release.  The first location ever used for an
> incubation disclaimer was the README file, and that is what I still
> often see (although I'm not seeing where that is doc'd right now).

nowhere :-)

most of the releases i've reviewed use NOTICE or DISCLAIMER

> I've also seen a DISCLAIMER file, which is fine.  However, I do NOT
> think it should be in the NOTICE file.  The NOTICE file has one
> specific purpose, which is to place copyright and attribution notices
> as required by third-party notices and for the ASF notice.  See
> http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice.  I think it's a bad
> idea to also throw in the incubation notice.

sounds reasonable

AIUI the rationale was that the incubator notice must be propagated
downstream if it's in the NOTICE but unless the incubator insists on
this, it does seem untidy

i'll try to find some time to update the release documentation
sometime this week. do you think that a recommendation to use either a
README or DISCLAIMER would suffice or is a specific recommendation
against using the NOTICE needed?

- robert