Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Arpan Bhandari <ar...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/29 07:28:10 UTC

Spark SQL query

Hi ,

Is there a way to track back spark sql after it has been already run i.e.
query has been already submitted by a person and i have to back trace what
query actually got submitted.

Appreciate any help on this.

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Arpan Bhandari <ar...@gmail.com>.
Sanchit,

It seems I have to do some sort of analysis from the plan to get the query.
Appreciate all your help on this.

Thanks,
Arpan Bhandari

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Sachit Murarka <co...@gmail.com>.
Application wise it wont show as such.
You can try to corelate it with explain plain output using some filters or
attribute.

Or else if you do not have too much queries in history. Just take queries
and find plan of those queries and match it with shown in UI.

I know thats the tedious task. But I dont think that there is other way.

Thanks
Sachit

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Sachit Murarka <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi arpan,

In spark shell when you type
:history.
then also it is not showing?

Thanks
Sachit

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Sachit Murarka <co...@gmail.com>.
  Hi Arpan,

Launch spark shell and in the shell type ":history" , you will see the
query executed.

In the Spark UI under SQL Tab you can see the query plan when you click on
the details button(Though it won't show you the complete query). But by
looking at the plan you can get your query.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Sachit Murarka

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Sachit Murarka <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpan,

Was it executed using spark shell?
If yes type :history

Do u have history server enabled?
If yes , go to the history and go to the SQL tab in History UI.

Thanks
Sachit

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
I suggest one thing you can do is  to open another thread for this feature
request

"Having functionality in Spark to allow queries to be gathered and analyzed"

and see what forum  responds to it.

HTH

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
I gather what you are after is a code sniffer for Spark that provides a
form of GUI to get the code that applications run against spark.

I don't think Spark has this type of plug-in although it would be
potentially useful. Some RDBMS provide this. Usually stored on some form of
persistent storage or database. I have not come across it in Spark.

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
create a directory in hdfs

hdfs dfs -mkdir /spark_event_logs

modify file $SPARK_HOME/conf/spark-defaults.conf and add these two lines

spark.eventLog.enabled=true
# do not use quotes below
spark.eventLog.dir=hdfs://rhes75:9000/spark_event_logs

Then run a job and check it

hdfs dfs -ls /spark_event_logs

-rw-rw----   3 hduser supergroup   33795834 2021-02-02 19:48
/spark_event_logs/yarn-1612295234284

That should have all the info you need

Make sure the directory hdfs://<NAME_NODE>:9000/spark_event_logs is
writable by spark

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Ok

on host starting the job on port* 8088*, do you have access to all
applications like shown in the attached file. If you look at history can
you see the jobs?

Also if you go to history next to Tracking URL: History

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpan.

I believe all applications including spark and scala create a hidden
history file

You can go to home directory

cd

# see list of all hidden files

ls -a | egrep '^\.'

If you are using scala do you see .scala_history file?

.scala_history

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpan,

log in as any user that has execution right for spark. type spark-shell, do
some simple commands then exit. go to home directory of that user and look
for that hidden file

${HOME/.spark_history

it will be there.

Re: Spark SQL query

Re: Spark SQL query

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpan,

I presume you are interested in what client was doing.

If you have access to the edge node (where spark code is submitted), look
for the following file

${HOME/.spark_history

example

-rw-r--r--. 1 hduser hadoop 111997 Jun  2  2018 .spark_history

just use shell tools (cat, grep etc) to have a look

Or put it in HDFS somewhere

hdfs dfs -put .spark_history /misc/spark_history ## Spark cannot read a
hidden file

#and read it as text file through sparkRDD in spark-shell

scala> val historyRDD = spark.sparkContext.textFile("/misc/spark_history")
historyRDD: org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD[String] = /misc/spark_history
MapPartitionsRDD[11] at textFile at <console>:23

#print it out

 historyRDD.collect().foreach(f=>{println(f)})