Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yi Yang <yy...@me.com> on 2011/08/06 01:58:47 UTC

column metadata and sstable

Dear all,

I'm wondering what's the advantage of assigning column metadata when NOT using secondary indices.

I've gone through the SSTable internal and found out it won't do such conversion.    Thus I think the only advantage we got via column metadata is a data validation type, am I correct?

Thanks.
Steve

Re: column metadata and sstable

Posted by Yi Yang <yy...@me.com>.
Thanks Aaron,

This is the same as I've thought. But I'm wondering if there's come triggers that can hash the column name in order to save disk space. Or do you think it's better to have this feature?

Best,
Steve

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.