Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Luis Neves <ln...@netcabo.pt> on 2003/06/12 23:54:35 UTC

Tapestry Starter Kits

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I developed a "Petshop" sample
application using Tapestry. For various reasons I never quite finished the
work but I plan to change that.

Now that I have my programmer hat back on, I went back to the code and did a
general update in order to make it run with the latest Tapestry release.
The petshop sample app can be downloaded here:

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/lneves/projects/petshop-0.3.tar.gz
(just extract it to a directory somewhere and issue a "ant run" command ant
point your browser to "http://localhost:8081/petshop/")

My idea is to make this and other sample applications available in order to
show how to use Tapestry, head over to the ASP.NET Starter Kits to see what
I'm talking about:
http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=9&tabid=47

I really like what Microsoft did there, a bunch of applications that serve to
illustrate several ways that one can leverage the .NET framework to develop
web applications... I like it so much that I want to copy it :-)

I would really appreciate feedback in two separate issues.

1) - What could be done to improve the "Tapestry-Petshop"?

2) - In order not to be a complete rip-off of the ASP.NET Starter-kits I need
some ideas for applications to develop, and what technologies to use. The
idea is to develop applications simple enough that can be made on my spare
time but sophisticated enough that serve to illustrate how can Tapestry solve
real world problems.

Looking forward for your comments/ideas/suggestions.

Best regards,
Luis Neves

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by Luis Neves <ln...@netcabo.pt>.
On Thursday 12 June 2003 23:44, worookie wrote:
> It's cool! Great Job!

Thanks.

> By the way, after using "ant run" to start the application, what's the
> appropriate command(s) to shut down the app (for both servlet engine and db
> server)?

I usually just kill the process on the console :-) ... but this is obviously
something that should be improved, I will look into ways of issuing a
shutdown command, a recent addition of Jetty is the "stop.jar" that can be
used properly shutdown the webserver, maybe MckoiDB has something similar(?).

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,
Luis Neves

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by worookie <wo...@hotmail.com>.
It's cool! Great Job!
I've bought a Green Adult Iguna from your shop.
By the way, after using "ant run" to start the application, what's the
appropriate command(s) to shut down the app (for both servlet engine and db
server)? Thanks.
-Rookie

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com>.
Wiki! I have no time to build a tapestry wiki but I did muse aloud on how to
do it here:

http://tapestry.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/TapestryWiki

Geoff

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by Isak-Rickyanto <is...@telkom.net>.
>> I like your Petshop implementation a lot - nice work!

I like the petshop too
and
I like the idea of Tapestry Starter Kits...

Because it help a lot for the newbie and who want to start
learn Tapestry like me..

Maybe there are peoples want to start the complete package
like ASP.NEt..... or make tapestrystarterkits.sf.net... :)

And now we have one for the starter kits, this petshop..
so maybe the other projects like portal, time tracker, or
other complete project can be added...

>Thanks.
"TELKOMNet Instan memberikan diskon 40% untuk akses malam hari dari pukul 23.00 sampai 06.00.
Berlaku untuk wilayah Jawa Timur mulai 1 Mei 2003 sampai 30 Juni 2003."

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by Luis Neves <ln...@netcabo.pt>.
On Tuesday 17 June 2003 00:10, Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
> Hi Luis
>
> I like your Petshop implementation a lot - nice work!

Thanks.

> I do have one suggestion. I would like you to use Hibernate for
> persistence.

I don't have plans to change the persistence layer of the Petshop application.
I do, however, have plans to develop a new Tapestry application using
Hibernate (and/or other O/R mapping tool) for persistence.
I just have to  figure how to use Hibernate in a way that makes me feel
confortable, in all of the examples I've seen of Hibernate/Tapestry usage
there is a strong coupling between the presentation layer and the persistence
layer, which is something I don't like ... or maybe I'm being picky :-)
Stay tuned.

Best regards,
Luis Neves

Re: Tapestry Starter Kits

Posted by Jan Mikkelsen <jm...@adslhome.dk>.
Hi Luis

I like your Petshop implementation a lot - nice work!
I do have one suggestion. I would like you to use Hibernate for
persistence.

Regards, Jan