Posted to rpc-dev@xml.apache.org by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com> on 2002/08/14 01:28:35 UTC

use of getBytes() in WebServer.java

Uh, that's a bit troubling. If I'm on an EBDIC system, getBytes() will
return EBDIC bytes, and then send them over the socket.

Shouldn't it be getBytes("ASCII")?

  - a

--
Sick of HTML user interfaces?
www.xwt.org

Re: use of getBytes() in WebServer.java

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

> on 8/14/02 3:43 PM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:
>

> >> getHTTPBytes() is a more 'proper' method name.
> >
> > It's not a bean method; I don't agree.
>
> Ah. Good point. Sorry about that.

Not a problem, thanks for the eagle eye.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 8/14/02 3:43 PM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:

>> getHTTPBytes() is a more 'proper' method name.
>
> It's not a bean method; I don't agree.

Ah. Good point. Sorry about that.

-jon

Re: use of getBytes() in WebServer.java

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> writes:
> > Shouldn't it be getBytes("ASCII")?

> Does HTTP require an ASCII encoding?

For headers, it does. The payload is another story, of course.

See RFC 2068, Section 2.2.

  - a

Posted by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com> writes:

> Uh, that's a bit troubling. If I'm on an EBDIC system, getBytes() will
> return EBDIC bytes, and then send them over the socket.
>
> Shouldn't it be getBytes("ASCII")?

Does HTTP require an ASCII encoding?  (And if so, would you point me
to a URL so I can read up on it.  :)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.