Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Fernando Serto <fe...@memetrics.com> on 2004/07/14 01:56:50 UTC

how to use SURBL

hi, I know it might sound a bit stupid, but I've never cared about using
SURBL, until now, after I sat on my desk on a beautiful Wednesday morning
and read Chris' email about bigevil. I haven't had any problems with it yet,
but as everyone has been suggesting for a while to use SURBL, I decided to
give it a go.

as you can see, I was downloading everything I could using RDJ:
TRUSTED_RULESETS="BIGEVIL TRIPWIRE ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS SARE_RANDOM
BLACKLIST BLACKLIST_URI RANDOMVAL BOGUSVIRUS SARE_ADULT SARE_FRAUD SARE_BML
SARE_RATWARE SARE_SPOOF SARE_BAYES_POISON_NXM SARE_OEM SARE_HEADER_ABUSE
SARE_CODING_HTML SARE_SPECIFIC";

I have a few questions about the whole process:

1) I know I should remove BIGEVIL from the TRUSTED_RULESETS, but how do I
add it to the SURBL? Should I just add a file called bigevil-uri.cf and add
the following lines to it?
  uri       WS_URI_RBL
eval:check_spamcop_uri_rbl('ws.surbl.org','127.0.0.2')
  describe  WS_URI_RBL  URI's domain appears in spamcop database at
ws.surbl.org
  tflags    WS_URI_RBL  net

  score     WS_URI_RBL  3.0

2) I have 2 files (blacklist.cf and blacklist-uri.cf), are they the same?
I've realized I have BLACKLIST and BLACKLIST-URI on my TRUSTED_RULESETS, as
well. can I get rid of BLACKLIST and only use BLACKLIST-URI?

3) If I want to use the other SURBL lists, should I just follow the same
steps of question 1? (If that's correct, of course)

Cheers,
Fernando

--
Fernando Serto
Systems Administrator

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

Re: SA 2.63 skipping some mails

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Pat Masterson <ba...@grumman.com> writes:

> a few time a day I get this error, and SA doesnt scan the email, but
> clam does. What could be wrong:

It could be over the size limit for spamd.

If it's something else, we'd need the exact email to test it.  It's
probably just the size limit or a bug or configuration setting in your
front-end program.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

SA 2.63 skipping some mails

Posted by Pat Masterson <ba...@grumman.com>.
a few time a day I get this error, and SA doesnt scan the email, but
clam does. What could be wrong:

Aug 18 20:35:35 gateway spamass-milter[564]: [ID 567979 mail.error]
Could not extract score from <>

Aug 18 20:35:35 gateway sendmail[26092]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
i7J0ZTna026092: Milter add : he ader: X-Virus-Scanned: clamd / ClamAV
version 0.72, clamav-milter version 0.72\n\ton
 gateway.northropgrumman.com

Aug 18 20:35:35 gateway sendmail[26092]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
i7J0ZTna026092: Milter add : header: X-Virus-Status: Clean

Aug 18 20:35:35 gateway sendmail[26095]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
i7J0ZTna026092: to=<bat@gr umman.com>, delay=00:00:03, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=local, pri=31031, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
 -pat

Re: how to use SURBL

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Fernando

see inline

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Fernando Serto wrote:
> hi, I know it might sound a bit stupid, but I've never cared about using
> SURBL, until now, after I sat on my desk on a beautiful Wednesday morning
> and read Chris' email about bigevil. I haven't had any problems with it yet,
> but as everyone has been suggesting for a while to use SURBL, I decided to
> give it a go.
>
> as you can see, I was downloading everything I could using RDJ:
> TRUSTED_RULESETS="BIGEVIL TRIPWIRE ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS SARE_RANDOM
> BLACKLIST BLACKLIST_URI RANDOMVAL BOGUSVIRUS SARE_ADULT SARE_FRAUD SARE_BML
> SARE_RATWARE SARE_SPOOF SARE_BAYES_POISON_NXM SARE_OEM SARE_HEADER_ABUSE
> SARE_CODING_HTML SARE_SPECIFIC";
>
> I have a few questions about the whole process:
>
> 1) I know I should remove BIGEVIL from the TRUSTED_RULESETS, but how do I
> add it to the SURBL? Should I just add a file called bigevil-uri.cf and add
> the following lines to it?
>   uri       WS_URI_RBL
> eval:check_spamcop_uri_rbl('ws.surbl.org','127.0.0.2')
>   describe  WS_URI_RBL  URI's domain appears in spamcop database at
> ws.surbl.org
>   tflags    WS_URI_RBL  net
>
>   score     WS_URI_RBL  3.0

yes

> 2) I have 2 files (blacklist.cf and blacklist-uri.cf), are they the same?
> I've realized I have BLACKLIST and BLACKLIST-URI on my TRUSTED_RULESETS, as
> well. can I get rid of BLACKLIST and only use BLACKLIST-URI?

these are replaced by the ws.surbl.org uri list - ie the ws.surbl.org is
a merge of the sa-blacklist*.cf and bigevil.cf.

> 3) If I want to use the other SURBL lists, should I just follow the same
> steps of question 1? (If that's correct, of course)

yes

the system manager.

Re: how to use SURBL

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 8:23:30 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I keep seeing that SURBL is supported as a
> module that comes with SA3.  I'm running -pre2, and want to know how to
> *activate* that module.  Is it automatically on if I have RBL checks
> enabled?

SA 3.0 has built-in SURBL support in the urirhsbl and urirhssub
commands, and the sample config file has rules and scores for
multi.surbl.org using urirhssub, so I assume it's all active by
default, but would want someone more familiar with SA 3.0 to
confirm that.

If it's not active, how should Bill and others using -pre2
activate SURBL support?

Anyone know?  :-)

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: how to use SURBL

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.
I'm running 2.63 with SURBL.

In CPAN, just install Net::DNS and URI.

Then install spamcop_uri

Then place the .cf rule file that comes with the spamcop distribution into
your /etc/mail/spamassassin directory.

If you use amavis, restart the daemon and you're done...

Couldn't be easier.

I didn't even bother to delete bigevil.cf .... it all just seems to work
fine ...

RO

Re: how to use SURBL

Posted by Bill Bradford <mr...@mrbill.net>.