Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2003/01/08 07:59:03 UTC

Ant changes breaking Axis

Whatever has happened to Ant recently has broken Axis

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2003-01-07/xml-axis.html

Caught exception (org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException) while expanding
classpath: /home/rubys/jakarta/xml-axis/java/samples/transport/lib not
found.

We could fix axis by creating the dir, I suppose, but this must be a
regression, as it used to work.

Re: Ant changes breaking Axis

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Steve Loughran wrote:

> Whatever has happened to Ant recently has broken Axis
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2003-01-07/xml-axis.html
>
> Caught exception (org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException) while expanding
> classpath: /home/rubys/jakarta/xml-axis/java/samples/transport/lib not
> found.
>
> We could fix axis by creating the dir, I suppose, but this must be a
> regression, as it used to work.

Strange. Most likely it's me - but I didn't touch anything related
with paths. Import couldn't do that, neither classloader ( since you
don't use any ).

Is 01-07 the first failure with this message ?

Costin

Re: Ant changes breaking Axis

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> wrote:

> Whatever has happened to Ant recently has broken Axis

At first glance, it seems to be a Gump problem.

The exception happens when the reference to the <path> named
"classpath" defined in axis/java/xmls/path_refs.xml gets expanded
inside the <taskdef> from axis/java/xmls/taskdefs_post_compile.xml
that is included in axis/java/samples/transport/build.xml, which in
turn has been called by <ant> from axis/java/buildTest.xml.

You sure know how to complicate builds ;-)

Gump invokes Ant with -Dlib.dir=lib which then overrides the
definition in properties.xml (that would point to ${axis.home}/lib
using the absolute path).

This in turn means that this part

    <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
        <include name="**/*.jar"/>
    </fileset>

of path_refs.xml now is "lib" relative to the basedir of the build
file - in build.xml it is axis/java/samples/transport/lib.  The
problem we see.

The "Caught exception" message comes from the <path> included, it
doesn't hurt too much.

The build failure happens, when the path gets used in the first
taskdef from taskdefs_post_compile.

After this analysis, -Dlib.dir=lib looks the problem and has been
introduced a month ago [1].  I'd be content and happy, but then again
- it gets built successfully in my Gump environment that uses the 1.5
branch of Ant.  Honestly, I don't know why 8-)

I'll investigate further, but thought I'd share what I've found so
far.

Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-gump/project/xml-axis.xml.diff?r1=1.54&r2=1.55>