Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/01 00:32:05 UTC

Re: Multipage forms and validation

I've done some work on a validation framework for
Struts that is based on defining rules in an xml file.
 Right now it depends on associating a field with a
page and setting a variable in the JSP page to set
what page you are on.  I had a long discussion with
someone on how to make it not depend on associating
fields with a page so it was separated from the view,
but I haven't had time to finish doing that.  The
biggest problem is that if you have a session scope
bean then you still absolutely have to know if there
is a checkbox field on the page so you can reset it.
The best idea to get away from page numbers was to
have a custom ActionForward for each page and pass in
the checkbox fields to be reset along with the action.

Here is the url for what I currenty have working.
There is a multi-page example in the validator.war and
jdbc-validator.war in the webapps directory.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt

David Winterfeldt

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
When the time comes, David's Validation servlet would get my vote.
Unfortunately, we need to get 1.0 out the door before voting on anything
like this. Beta 3 is counting down now, so we only talking a couple of
weeks now.

In any event, what features Struts, or any Jakarta product, will offer
in any timeframe, will always depend on what people contribute. No one
here can say "hey you, go implement this feature". What gets implemented
depends on what people choose to contribute, and David has stepped
forward with a very fine contribution.

One of things that make it a fine contribution is that the Validator
servlet snaps right into the framework, without altering anything else.
So you're free to use it, or not to use it, or to use something else.
Which is as "Struts-esque" as you can get ;-) So I'd say use it .. I do!

Posted by David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com>.
It hasn't been discussed by the other volunteers and
Struts users/developers exactly what features the
client/standard validations should have.  I'll send an
e-mail to get the discussion started.

David

--- Niall Pemberton <ni...@btInternet.com>

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@btInternet.com>.