Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yan Chunlu <sp...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/11 05:19:08 UTC

Re: anyway to throttle nodetool repair?

so how about disk io?  is there anyway to use ionice to control it?

I have tried to adjust the priority by "ionice -c3 -p [cassandra pid].
 seems not working...

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> earlier: http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/how-does-compaction-throughput-kb-per-sec-affect-disk-io-td6831711.html
> might not directly throttle the disk I/O?

Again: Compaction throttling will throttle compaction, which affects
both CPU and I/O for fundamental reasons.

In 1.0 (not earlier) there is throttling of internode streaming, with
similar results.

Without 1.0 it is expected that internode throttling is not throttled.

Also note that compaction and streaming throttling would not
necessarily work well with ionice to begin with; for one thing
depending on situation you may not want to be using the CFQ I/O
scheduler in the kernel to begin with (required for ionice to work);
and for another you may want to throttle the process lower than
available idle I/O bandwidth because of the effects on page cache
eviction.

Posted by Yan Chunlu <sp...@gmail.com>.
as I asked earlier:
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/how-does-compaction-throughput-kb-per-sec-affect-disk-io-td6831711.html

might not directly throttle the disk I/O?

it would be easy if ionice could work with cassandra. not sure it is because
of jvm or something else, ionice works perfectly with "cp" or "mv" to make
the disk I/O very smooth.

thanks!

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.

Posted by Yan Chunlu <sp...@gmail.com>.
I am using commodity hardware so even minor compact make disk io goes 100%
and server load get very high