Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "Marc M. Adkins" <Ma...@Doorways.org> on 2002/03/02 08:40:15 UTC

Logging

Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?  It seems a reasonable
addition, and I'm somewhat surprised to not see it yet.  Especially since
Apache itself obviously does some amount of logging.

It's been suggested to me that log4j would be a good set of functionality
for this purpose.  I took a look and it has a lot of the features that I've
come to desire myself (and re-implemented over the years in various
languages).

Unfortunately the log4c port (of log4j) seems less than optimal.  I would
think that it could be done somewhat better, retaining more of the original
log4j functionality, despite the lack of objects in C.

If it's just a matter of finding someone with time and interest I might be
willing to have a go at it.  Or is there a reason why this isn't supposed to
be a part of the APR?

Marc M. Adkins

RE: Logging

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
> > > Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?
> > > Or is there a reason why this isn't supposed to be a part of the
APR?

> > My personal opinion:
> >
> > APR is a *portability* library.  If it's functionality not aimed at
> making
> > applications more portable (or a helper for such functionality, as
with
> > pools and hash tables and similar low-level data structures), then
it
> > doesn't belong in APR.  We made a conscious effort to avoid having
APR
> > become the kitchen sink (though it seems APR-util has become the
kitchen
> > sink instead :-/ ).  Anyway, AIUI, that's the reason logging
remained in
> > Apache and didn't go into APR.
>
> I can respect that argument.  I had already noticed that the code I
was
> writing was different from the APR code body in the sense that it
_used_
> APR
> but didn't have any platform-specific sections of its own.  I can
always
> develop what I want on top of APR (e.g. Log4APR) as a separate
project.

> However...having a nice base like APR I would like to develop tools on
top
> of it that might have general utility, if not be specifically targeted
at
> portability.  The idea being that if I'm using APR for development I
would
> like features X and Y and Z also, and I want them to work _with_ APR
and
> _using_ APR so that my hassles and code size are both minimized.
>
> Just as there exists CPAN for Perl packages (and so on and so forth),
> might
> there also (eventually) be a similar repository for APR packages?

I hope so, and there will be if enough people find APR useful.

Ryan

RE: Logging

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Marc M. Adkins wrote:

> I can respect that argument.  I had already noticed that the code I was
> writing was different from the APR code body in the sense that it _used_ APR
> but didn't have any platform-specific sections of its own.  I can always
> develop what I want on top of APR (e.g. Log4APR) as a separate project.

++1.. sounds great!

> However...having a nice base like APR I would like to develop tools on
> top of it that might have general utility, if not be specifically
> targeted at portability.  The idea being that if I'm using APR for
> development I would like features X and Y and Z also, and I want them to
> work _with_ APR and _using_ APR so that my hassles and code size are
> both minimized. Just as there exists CPAN for Perl packages (and so on
> and so forth), might there also (eventually) be a similar repository for
> APR packages?

That could be a respectable eventual goal.  For now, I think we just need
to keep track of which things have been written for APR and attempt to
maintain cross-publicity as much as possible.  If the body of APR-ized
works becomes as massive as that of the list of Perl modules (wow), then
something more centralized perhaps.  :)

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

RE: Logging

Posted by "Marc M. Adkins" <Ma...@Doorways.org>.

RE: Logging

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Marc M. Adkins wrote:
>
> > Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?  It seems a
> reasonable
> > addition, and I'm somewhat surprised to not see it yet.  Especially
> since
> > Apache itself obviously does some amount of logging.
> >
> > If it's just a matter of finding someone with time and interest I
might
> be
> > willing to have a go at it.  Or is there a reason why this isn't
> supposed to
> > be a part of the APR?
>
> My personal opinion:
>
> APR is a *portability* library.  If it's functionality not aimed at
making
> applications more portable (or a helper for such functionality, as
with
> pools and hash tables and similar low-level data structures), then it
> doesn't belong in APR.  We made a conscious effort to avoid having APR
> become the kitchen sink (though it seems APR-util has become the
kitchen
> sink instead :-/ ).  Anyway, AIUI, that's the reason logging remained
in
> Apache and didn't go into APR.

I agree completely.  There is no reason to put logging into APR, it
isn't a portability problem.  It is simply a problem that many apps need
to solve.

If logging is an important problem to solve, and people want to do it,
then a separate project should be create (separate from APR IMO), to
create a logging API that uses APR.

Ryan

Re: Logging

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.