Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/17 09:53:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] - ActiveMQ assembly - More sub dirs in lib

Hi

I was working on

In the AMQ distro (eg the zip / tarball) we have a lib directory with
the mandatory JARs.
And then a number of sub dirs for
- optional
- web

I would like to propose that we introduce a 1 or 2 more sub dirs to
better splitup the JARs. This alos allows people to better understand
what the zillion JARs in the optional dir is used for.

Its most noticeable the leveldb support that brings in a zillion JARs
and libraries such as hadoop etc.
So I propose to move that into its own directory such as:

- optional
- extra
- web

Or
- optional
- leveldb
- mqtt
- web

For end users who may not want to use leveldb/mqtt, they can zap those
dirs and make a smaller AMQ distro.
Maybe also if they re-package and make their own distro within their
company to be distributed.

Also its less confusing for people thinking that AMQ uses Hadoop etc.

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] - ActiveMQ assembly - More sub dirs in lib

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Sounds good to me.  Hopefully there are no common jars between two optional
features.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was working on
>
> In the AMQ distro (eg the zip / tarball) we have a lib directory with
> the mandatory JARs.
> And then a number of sub dirs for
> - optional
> - web
>
> I would like to propose that we introduce a 1 or 2 more sub dirs to
> better splitup the JARs. This alos allows people to better understand
> what the zillion JARs in the optional dir is used for.
>
> Its most noticeable the leveldb support that brings in a zillion JARs
> and libraries such as hadoop etc.
> So I propose to move that into its own directory such as:
>
> - optional
> - extra
> - web
>
> Or
> - optional
> - leveldb
> - mqtt
> - web
>
> For end users who may not want to use leveldb/mqtt, they can zap those
> dirs and make a smaller AMQ distro.
> Maybe also if they re-package and make their own distro within their
> company to be distributed.
>
> Also its less confusing for people thinking that AMQ uses Hadoop etc.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> FuseSource
> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> FuseSource
> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

**

*Hiram Chirino*

*Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*

*hchirino@redhat.com <hc...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com*

*skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino<http://twitter.com/hiramchirino>
*

*blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo <http://hiramchirino.com/blog/>*

[DISCUSS] - ActiveMQ assembly - More sub dirs in lib

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
like it!

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Well, look at it this way.  At least the camel riders now know of a
potential change to AMQ! :)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah sorry I did it again, sent to the wrong @dev.
> This talk should happen only on AMQ @dev.
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM, James Carman
> <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> Is this conversation spanning two lists?  I would think the ActiveMQ
>> community (those that aren't camel riders) would want to be involved,
>> too.  This should probably move to the ActiveMQ dev list.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> 1)
>>> I have experimented a bit and so far the best tradeoff I have is
>>>
>>> lib
>>> lib/camel
>>> lib/optional
>>> lib/web
>>> lib/extra
>>>
>>> I moved the camel JARs into a separate lib, as Camel can be made
>>> optional (only web requires it).
>>> In lib/optional I have all the optional stuff, except for mqtt and leveldb.
>>> mqtt and leveldb are in lib/extra. They have a few shared JARs which
>>> is the hawt stuff.
>>>

>>> 2)
>>> I am considering having all the mandatory in a lib/core instead of the
>>> root of lib. Then its very clean.
>>> Then it becomes:
>>> lib/core
>>> lib/camel
>>> lib/optional
>>> lib/web

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Ah sorry I did it again, sent to the wrong @dev.
This talk should happen only on AMQ @dev.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> Is this conversation spanning two lists?  I would think the ActiveMQ
> community (those that aren't camel riders) would want to be involved,
> too.  This should probably move to the ActiveMQ dev list.
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 1)
>> I have experimented a bit and so far the best tradeoff I have is
>>
>> lib
>> lib/camel
>> lib/optional
>> lib/web
>> lib/extra
>>
>> I moved the camel JARs into a separate lib, as Camel can be made
>> optional (only web requires it).
>> In lib/optional I have all the optional stuff, except for mqtt and leveldb.
>> mqtt and leveldb are in lib/extra. They have a few shared JARs which
>> is the hawt stuff.
>>

>> 2)
>> I am considering having all the mandatory in a lib/core instead of the
>> root of lib. Then its very clean.
>> Then it becomes:
>> lib/core
>> lib/camel
>> lib/optional
>> lib/web
>> lib/extra
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 to segregate a bit
>>>
>>> maybe any common jar goes into optional (to avoid dups)
>>>
>>> so for mqtt two dirs are needed, optional and optional/mqtt
>>>
>>> /lib/optiona
>>> /lib/optional/mqtt
>>>
>>> etc

>>> --
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>> http://blog.garytully.com
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> FuseSource
>> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 to segregate a bit

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUSS] - ActiveMQ assembly - More sub dirs in lib

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Sorry for posting this in the wrong @dev. It should go to AMQ instead.
I have re-posted it on AMQ now.
Please follow the discussion on AMQ @dev.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was working on
>
> In the AMQ distro (eg the zip / tarball) we have a lib directory with
> the mandatory JARs.
> And then a number of sub dirs for
> - optional
> - web
>
> I would like to propose that we introduce a 1 or 2 more sub dirs to
> better splitup the JARs. This alos allows people to better understand
> what the zillion JARs in the optional dir is used for.
>
> Its most noticeable the leveldb support that brings in a zillion JARs
> and libraries such as hadoop etc.
> So I propose to move that into its own directory such as:
>
> - optional
> - extra
> - web
>
> Or
> - optional
> - leveldb
> - mqtt
> - web
>
> For end users who may not want to use leveldb/mqtt, they can zap those
> dirs and make a smaller AMQ distro.
> Maybe also if they re-package and make their own distro within their
> company to be distributed.
>
> Also its less confusing for people thinking that AMQ uses Hadoop etc.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> FuseSource