Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Eliot Kimber <ek...@contrext.com> on 2018/08/16 22:18:48 UTC

POI-Using Project: The Wordinator

The project that is driving my work on the XWPF API is a new project I've started, The Wordinator:

https://github.com/drmacro/wordinator

This is driven by a Publishing client that needs to generate high-quality DOCX files from their content for access from the Web. Their content is relatively complex, with things like footnotes, complex tables, nested lists, and so on.

The Wordinator abstracts the general problem of mapping from XML (or any similar structured content--with XSLT 3 you could just as easily process JSON content or some other format) to word processing data through a relatively simple XML structure, the Simple Word Processing Markup Language (SWPX), which is basically OOXML simplified way down.

You use XSLT to do the XML-to-SWPX mapping and that XSLT is designed to be relatively easy to adapt while handling the annoying details of going from structured content to paragraphs and runs. The Wordinator then uses POI to generate DOCX files through a relatively simple Java application that reads the SWPX XML.

The code is still pretty fresh as I'm focused on my paying client's requirements, but I've started on a generic HTML5-to-SWPX transform. Once I have that working I plan to then adapt it to the DITA world using HTML5 produced by the DITA Open Toolkit.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

Re: POI-Using Project: The Wordinator

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi Eliot,

thanks for the link and description, this sounds like a great project and a
nice usage of Apache POI in a project.

Also good to see the XWPF stuff being used, it shows which areas still lack
the most. Thanks also for your continued patches, this helps a lot to
improve this area.

I have now also listed your project at
http://poi.apache.org/related-projects.html to include it in the list of
projects that use POI in some way.