Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/22 19:22:09 UTC

[VOTE] release version 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom

Hi,

I've finally put together release 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom - this uses
the new
Nexus repository infrastructure to stage releases. I've also changed the
artifactId
to be "felix-parent", which should be less confusing for people browsing the
repo.

The release is staged at:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/felix-staging-015/

The new release process is documented on the wiki (based on the Maven
process):

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Release+Management+(Nexus)

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
signatures:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:  sh check_staged_release.sh 015 /tmp/felix-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

  [ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours ... I'm off to get some sleep now, back
in ~8hrs.

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: [VOTE] release version 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Clement

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

[RESULT] [VOTE] release version 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/23 Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I've finally put together release 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom - this uses
> the new
> Nexus repository infrastructure to stage releases. I've also changed the
> artifactId
> to be "felix-parent", which should be less confusing for people browsing
> the repo.
>
> The release is staged at:
>
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/felix-staging-015/
>
> The new release process is documented on the wiki (based on the Maven
> process):
>

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Release+Management+(Nexus)<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Release+Management+%28Nexus%29>

> signatures:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh
>
> Usage:  sh check_staged_release.sh 015 /tmp/felix-staging
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
>   [ ] +1 Approve the release
>   [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours ... I'm off to get some sleep now, back
> in ~8hrs.
>
> --
> Cheers, Stuart

OK, time to call this vote:

   +1 (binding) from Stuart McCulloch, Felix Meschberger, Carsten Ziegeler,
and Clement Escoffier

   -1 (non-binding) from David Jencks ... it was felt that David's concerns
can be addressed in a later release

So the vote has passed, I will promote the artifact to the release
repository as per the new process

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/23 David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>

> -1 (non binding)
>
> maven is working on releasing an apache pom 6 that includes the recommended
> release profile.  I'd wait a couple days for that.

Hi David,

that release is still being voted on - I've looked at the changes wrt. 5 and
there
is nothing really there that we need to pick up - it might mean we can
remove a
few definitions, but nothing (imho) worth waiting for, especially as we have
some
critical-fix releases waiting for the new Felix parent pom

> Also I'm not sure why there are zips and tars, I'd expect only the pom to
> be released.

this is a side-effect of the Felix release profile - it always creates two
assemblies
when packaging up a release (one of the binaries, one of the project) which
are
used as the main distribution files on
http://felix.apache.org/site/downloads.cgi
(this is the primary location for Apache Felix releases)

these assemblies must be attached to the project so they will get signed by
the
maven-gpg-plugin, and md5/sha1 digests will be created when we deploy them

in the past the Felix release process was manual - so the deploy would be
done
to a local directory where the release manager could remove spurious
assemblies
(like *.bz2, or the project/binary ones for the Felix parent pom) before
starting the
vote and finally uploading Maven artifacts to 'central', and the assemblies
to 'dist'

( though sometimes people would copy all files to 'central' including the
bz2 ones )

now that we're using Nexus to stage the deployed release you can see the
attached
assemblies, because all attached artifacts get sent via Nexus - I managed to
remove
the unnecessary *.bz2 files by using the build-helper-plugin, but we still
need to have
the project and binary assemblies there for a) signatures+digests and b)
voting

so this really is "business-as-usual", it's just that previously we were
able to tweak
things so you didn't see assemblies for the parent pom, but they were always
there

(perhaps in the future we'll be able to filter out these files again during
deploy/staging)

HTH

thanks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
-1 (non binding)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
+1 for releasing.

(I agree with answer to David Jencks' remarks: Lets get our parent pom
going now and upgrade to Apache POM 6 later)

Regards
Felix

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/23 Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I've finally put together release 1.2.0 of the Felix parent pom - this uses
> the new
> Nexus repository infrastructure to stage releases. I've also changed the
> artifactId
> to be "felix-parent", which should be less confusing for people browsing
> the repo.
>
> The release is staged at:
>
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/felix-staging-015/
>
> The new release process is documented on the wiki (based on the Maven
> process):
>

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Release+Management+(Nexus)<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Release+Management+%28Nexus%29>

> signatures:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh
>
> Usage:  sh check_staged_release.sh 015 /tmp/felix-staging
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
>   [ ] +1 Approve the release
>   [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours ... I'm off to get some sleep now, back
> in ~8hrs.

here's my +1 to get the ball rolling

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/24 Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>

> The pom looks good, but I think the maven assembly stuff should be
> moved into another pom or be optional.
> Maybe using another profile that would be activated by subprojects by
> default or something like that.

yes, this is actually nothing new - previous Felix parent poms had this
assembly
(the only difference with the new pom is that I avoid attaching the bz2
artifacts)

> Does this mean that all subprojects like ConfigAdmin,
> PreferencesService and such will all have those four artifacts
> generated ?

correct, as I said this is "business-as-usual" for Felix - but certainly I
think
it's worth discussing which sub-projects still need these assemblies, and
what we exactly we want for the distribution area (as that afaik is still
the
canonical release location for Felix)

definitely something to look into for the next release, if someone has time
:)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,