Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> on 2004/08/29 15:54:38 UTC

[ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28 Released

The Tomcat Team announces the immediate availability of Apache Jakarta Tomcat
5.0.28.

Please refer to the change log for the list of changes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/changelog.html

Release notes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES

Downloads:
Binaries: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
Sources: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi

Please note that the stability rating (alpha/beta/stable) for this release will
be announced separately in about a week.

The Apache Jakarta Tomcat Team

Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28 Released

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
+1

What a deal Tomcat is.  It is amazing!

[OFFTOPIC] Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28 Released

Posted by John Villar <jo...@florhard.com>.
Thank you tomcat..... taking the apache group as an example, i'm
beginning to release my closed source Apps on open source..... thanks
everyone out there for helping me an my coworkers understand the open
source theory....

Vic escribió:

> (I know I speak for many)
>
> THANK YOU very much.
>
> .V
>
> Yoav Shapira wrote:
>
>> The Tomcat Team announces the immediate availability of Apache
>> Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28.
>>
>> Please refer to the change log for the list of changes:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/changelog.html
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES
>>
>> Downloads:
>> Binaries: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
>> Sources: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi
>>
>> Please note that the stability rating (alpha/beta/stable) for this
>> release will
>> be announced separately in about a week.
>>
>> The Apache Jakarta Tomcat Team

John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos
Computadores Flor Hard Soft 2058 C.A.
www.florhard.com

Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28 Released

Posted by Vic <vi...@portalvu.com>.
(I know I speak for many)

THANK YOU very much.

.V

Posted by Vic <vi...@portalvu.com>.
(I know I speak for many)

THANK YOU very much.

.V

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
FYI, all Servlet/JSP TCKs passed on Tomcat 5.0.28 bundle.

+1 to mark it as STABLE.  :-)

Thanks,
Amy

Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.28 Released

Posted by "Ian F.Darwin" <ia...@darwinsys.com>.
Thanks Yoav for making the release!

Just a couple of minor nits on the release notes, $Id: RELEASE-NOTES,v
1.18 2004/06/15 18:42:06 yoavs Exp $

> -------------------------------------
> Tomcat 5.0 and JNI Based Applications:
> -------------------------------------
>
> Applications that require native libraries must ensure that the
> libraries have
> been loaded prior to use.  Typically, this is done with a call like:
>
>   static {
>     System.loadLibrary("path-to-library-file");
>   }
>
> in some class.  However, the application must also ensure that the
> library is
> not loaded more than once.  If the above code were placed in a class
> inside
> the web application (i.e. under /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib), and
> the
> application were reloaded, the loadLibrary() call would be attempted a
> second
> time.
>
> To avoid this problem, place classes that load native libraries
> outside of the
> web application, and ensure that the loadLibrary() call is executed
> only once
> during the lifetime of a particular JVM.

Maybe give a hint on where to put them? TOMCAT_HOME/shared?

> ----------------------------------
> Tomcat 5.0 Standard APIs Available:
> ----------------------------------
>
> A standard installation of Tomcat 5 makes all of the following APIs
> available
> for use by web applications (by placing them in "common/lib" or
> "shared/lib"):

Having this list here is a really good idea - thanks!

> * ant.jar (Apache Ant 1.6 or later)
> * commons-collections*.jar (Commons Collections 2.1 or later)
> * commons-dbcp.jar (Commons DBCP 1.1 or later)
> * commons-el.jar (Commons Expression Language 1.0)
> * commons-el.jar (JSP 2.0 Expression Language)

commons-el.jar is in there twice, with different versions.

> * naming-common.jar (JNDI Context implementation)
> * naming-factory.jar (JNDI object factories for J2EE ENC support)
> * naming-resources.jar (JNDI DirContext implementations)
> * servlet-api.jar (Servlet 2.4 API)
>
> You can make additional APIs available to all of your web applications
> by
> putting unpacked classes into a "classes" directory (not created by
> default),
> or by placing them in JAR files in the "lib" directory.

Where? Presumably under shared?

> Web application reloading and static fields in shared libraries:
>
> Some shared libraries (many are part of the JDK) keep references to
> objects
> instantiated by the web application. To avoid class loading related
> problems
> (ClassCastExceptions, messages indicating that the classloader
> is stopped, etc.), the shared libraries state should be reinitialized.
>
> Something which might help is to avoid putting classes which would be
> referenced by a shared static field in the web application classloader,
> and putting them in the shared classloader instead (JARs should be put
> in the
> "lib" folder, and classes should be put in the "classes" folder).

Again, more specific on where to put them - do you mean under
TOMCAT_HOME/shared/{lib,classes}?

> --------------------
> JAVAC leaking memory:
> --------------------
>
> The Java compiler leaks memory each time a class is compiled. Web
> applications
> containing hundreds of JSP files may as a result trigger out of memory
> errors
> once a significant number of pages have been accessed. The memory can
> only be
> freed by stopping Tomcat and then restarting it.
>
> The JSP command line compiler (JSPC) can also be used to precompile
> the JSPs.
>
> Note: This issue has been fixed in Sun JDK 1.4.x.

Given that I think the large majority of the world uses 1.4 now, would
it maybe be better to say
"Older versions of the Java compiler (pre-1.4.x) used to leak memory...

Maybe even recommend that they upgrade to 1.4 if possible (now that 1.5
/ 5.0 is almost upon us)?

> ---------------------------
> Symlinking static resources:
> ---------------------------
>
> By default, Unix symlinks will not work when used in a web application
> to link
> resources located outside the web application root directory.
>
> This behavior is optional, and the "allowLinking" flag may be used to
> disable
> the check.

Again, where to put this? Of course it's "the "allowLinking" attribute
of the <Context element", but there
is a security issue with it; maybe refer them to read the discussion
under
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html
before enabling it?

These are all minor nits, but each time we can clarify a detail like
this in the docco we might save a few postings
to the list that everybody would have to wade through...

Thanks again
Ian