Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> on 2022/02/06 16:48:22 UTC

[SCM] Getting a list of al commit messages since last tag ?

Hi,

I'm looking into how easy/difficult it would be to create a
new VersionPolicy for the maven-release-plugin that returns the next
version by following the combination of "Conventional Commits" and
"Semantic Versioning".
https://semver.org/
https://www.conventionalcommits.org/en/v1.0.0/

The way I think this should be implemented is by looking at all the commit
messages that have been created since the latest tag and then do
an analysis on these commit message to determine what the next version
should be.
Simplified summary: If there are only 'fix' messages then only increment
the patch, if there are breaking changes increment the major version and
set the minor and patch to 0.

In an attempt to make this as version control system independent as
possible I was hoping the maven-scm to provide me the information I'm
looking for.

The best I have been able to find right now is the changelog; yet the
ChangeSet does not include the tags (as far as I can tell) that were on
that commit.

I suspect tags are something that works differently in the various SCM
systems.

How should I approach this?

Niels Basjes