Posted to announce@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2003/03/03 19:59:49 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Apache::SessionX 2.00b5

The URL

    ftp://ftp.dev.ecos.de/pub/perl/session/Apache-SessionX-2.00b5.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/G/GR/GRICHTER/Apache-SessionX-2.00b5.tar.gz
  size: 11981 bytes
   md5: d9bb7317e8ffed14ebdb276cd3b729b4

Apache::SessionX extents Apache::Session. It was initialy written to
use Apache::Session from inside of Embperl, but is seems to be
usefull outside of Embperl as well, so here is it as standalone module.

Apache::Session is a persistence framework which is particularly useful
for tracking session data between httpd requests.  Apache::Session is
designed to work with Apache and mod_perl, but it should work under
CGI and other web servers, and it also works outside of a web server
alltogether.

Addtionaly to Apache::Session, Apache::SessionX provides the following
possibilites:

- Configuration: Makefile.PL checks which componemnts are installed
  on the system and interactivly builds a set of configuration,
  including a default one. This configurations are saved and can
  be used by name later on. The default configuration is used, if
  no parameters are given to Apache::SessionX. This simplifies
  the configuration and usage.

- Lazy operation: Apache::SessionX supports lazy operation, that means
  that the actual data access only takes place if the session data is
  needed, so you are able to setup the session object, without worrying
  about performance in case you don't access the session data.

- Specifing the ID: Apache::SessionX can use a given ID instead of
  creating it's own one. You can also give an string which is used to
  generate the ID

- Genrate unique ID: Apache::SessionX is able to save the session with
  an new ID every time data is modified. This make it possible to keep
  an history.

- Addtionaly methods are provided to get the ID, the inital ID, the
  modified status and to close a session, without destroying the
  session object itself.

Additional features like session expiration are partial implemented.

Enjoy

Gerald

Changes since 2.00b3:

     - make test now works without Timer::HiRes installed
     - included patch from Robert for iteration over all sessions
     - created new class Apache::SessionX::Manager, which is used
       to performs actions on multiple sessions. (first, next, count)
       (Only File Store currently supports this methods).
     - Use Digest::MD5 instead of MD5

ANNOUNCE: Penguin Greetings 0.8.0

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Embperl types,

I thought I would share with you all my open-source project using
Embperl.  It is a web/email ecards application that uses Embperl to allow
content designers access to state and configuration information.  It is
also in the opinion of others "a very pretty application." :-)

Peace, Edouard :-)

==================

Freshmeat announcement:

Penguin Greetings is a Perl CGI application to implement Internet
greeting cards on Linux and other Unix-based systems. It includes a
complete ecard Website with 20+ cards for users who want a "plug and
play" ecards solution. It is intended to make ecards more like email by
using multipart MIME email and including message text. The HTML for the
cards and the creation screens are stored in templates so that users can
completely customize the look of the program. Penguin Greetings
incorporates EmbPerl so that full Perl expressions can be incorporated in
to templates for server-side processing. Access to the card creation
functions can be optionally restricted to users in an htpasswd file to
avoid giving world wide access to your server. The emailing function and
data storage are carried out by a separate daemon program which allows
for cards to be mailed on specific dates and improves security and
logging. Extensive documentation is provided as well an example Website
that make full use of the EmbPerl scripting capabilities.