Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Squire <Da...@infotech.monash.edu.au> on 2006/09/20 19:00:51 UTC

Error untarring jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz with GNU tar 1.15

Hi all,

I have just downloaded jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi#5.0.28. I checked the md5
signature, and all was well. (NB. I need to use this version rather than
5.5, since that is what is on the machine I am targeting and I can't
change that at present).

I tried untarring the file with the tar that came with SUSE 10.0, which is:

% tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1

and it failed with:

% tar xvfz ~/downloads/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat-power.gif
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat.gif
tar: A lone zero block at 82109

The same thing happened when untarring the Deployer and Embedded staff
(at different places though).

Since the README says "NOTE: The tar files in this distribution use GNU
tar extensions, and must be untarred with a GNU compatible version of
tar.", I decided that perhaps I should get the GNU tar source (maybe
SUSE did something odd?), so I grabbed it via ftp from GNU, and built a
new tar which I installed locally:

% gtar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.15

This failed with the identical error:

% gtar xvfz ~/downloads/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat-power.gif
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat.gif
gtar: A lone zero block at 82109

Using the "i" option to tell tar to ignore zero blocks does not help:

% gtar xvfiz ~/downloads/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat-power.gif
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat.gif
gtar: Skipping to next header
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/index.html
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat-power.gif
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

In this case, the file
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/webdav/tomcat-power.gif is indeed
truncated, though, perhaps oddly, it is not if I don't use the "i" option.

I guess I could just grab the zip files, but I would like to sort this
out. The note in the README about GNU compatible tar does not seem adequate.

Regards,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia