Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Slava Pestov <sl...@jedit.org> on 2003/01/14 17:50:05 UTC

Re: Class SecuritySupport and Class.forName("java.security.AccessController")

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 11:15, neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> Bottom line:  the sooner folks move off of the Java 1.1 platform, the
> better for everyone.  :)

One other thing that would be a nice about a move to Java 2 is the use
of collections. Right now from looking at the Xerces source, I can see
dozens of re-implementations of various types of lists, hash tables and
sets all with slightly differently named methods. Is Java 1.1
compatibility all that important these days?
--
Slava Pestov <sl...@jedit.org>

Re: Class SecuritySupport and Class.forName("java.security.AccessController")

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
Every time the Xalan developers ask about abandoning Java 1.1, we're told
"That'd be fine with the developers, but their _customers_ refuse to
upgrade and since the goal is to serve the customers... we're sorta
stuck."

At some point, Apache as a whole has to make the decision to abandon 1.1.
I don't think anything but a clean across-the-board break will motivate
customers to cross that barrier.