Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Wang Li <ch...@linux.net.cn> on 2004/03/22 09:41:41 UTC

svn: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem svn/db: Invalid argument

Hi, Dear Everyone:

I'm a fedora core 1 user who interest the subversion greatly. After download
the binary rpm provided rpm from the office download site, I issue the
following commands:

To install them (subversion-1.0.1, apr-0.9.5-0.3, apr-0.9.5-0.4,
db42-4.2.52-0.1,):

rpm -ivh --force db42-*
rpm -Uvh apr-*
rpm -ivh subversion-*

Because db4-4.1.25 is required by many other rpms provided by fedora and I
won't to recompile all of these packages to upgrade to db42, so I keep
db4-4.1.25....

After that:

mkdir svn
svnadmin create svn
The following error is encountered:

svn: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem svn/db:
Invalid argument.

I have try subversion-0.36.0, these commands is worked. What's wrong?

And I have a suggestion that db42 can be provided by another rpm package
name so it will not conflict with the original db4-4.1.25, and they can be
exists in the same system, this will give the great convient to the user.

Thank you very much.

Charles  March 22th.

Re: svn: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem svn/db: Invalid argument

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Wang Li wrote:

> I'm a fedora core 1 user who interest the subversion greatly. After download
> the binary rpm provided rpm from the office download site, I issue the
> following commands:
>
> To install them (subversion-1.0.1, apr-0.9.5-0.3, apr-0.9.5-0.4,
> db42-4.2.52-0.1,):
>
> rpm -ivh --force db42-*
> rpm -Uvh apr-*
> rpm -ivh subversion-*
>
> Because db4-4.1.25 is required by many other rpms provided by fedora and I
> won't to recompile all of these packages to upgrade to db42, so I keep
> db4-4.1.25....

I'm curious as why you are having to "force" the db42 package.  I changed
it from db4-4.2.52 to db42-4.2.52 specifically so people wouldn't
accidentally upgrade their db4-4.1.25 packages.  You shouldn't have to
force it.  Did you try it without forcing it?  If so, what was the result?

I'm using it with no (known) problems for the last week or so.  Still more
work to do for the next release, though.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt