Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/15 15:33:22 UTC

Switch website ChangeLog to a link to our SVN file?

Hi JP, our website ChangeLog has fallen out of date:
http://incubator.apache.org/jspwiki/development/changelog.html Again,
can we just switch to a link to our SVN repository of the changelog file
(
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/ChangeLog?view=co)
so it's always up-to-date 24/7?  That should be sufficient, given that
the vast majority of Apache projects don't even bother linking to a
changelog file to begin with.  I don't see the project as having the
time or resources for busywork secretarial tasks like maintaining two
ChangeLog files.  The time you have been devoting to this in order to
have a HTML change log that looks 10% better seems to well failing
cost/benefit analysis, especially since it's even out-of-date, so now
it's *worse* than just directly linking to SVN.

Thanks,
Glen

<http://incubator.apache.org/jspwiki/development/changelog.html>

Re: Switch website ChangeLog to a link to our SVN file?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good, I'll happily switch to the link to the SVN changelog, and
keep quiet about it and hope you never get around to doing the second
part.  :)

I still think you're adding more complexity for something that won't
gain that much more benefit, however the idea you're planning (svn
commits automatically updating the website) could be useful for other
things, so if you want to guinea pig the Change Log page I guess that's
OK.  However, I'm not sure we would want to link website updates and the
running of SiteGeneratorTest (if I understand you correctly), as mvn
test -Dtest=SiteGeneratorTest has so far for me been a common command to
run, I don't think we'd want the website to update on account of anybody
running that command (if that's your plan).  Perhaps using the
maven-exec-plugin to run a separate class (outside the tests) would be a
cleaner implementation.

Glen

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,