Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by tr...@clayst.com on 2004/12/03 15:38:49 UTC

Moving Repository Between Windows Machines

I have a single-user repository stored locally on Windows, svn 1.1.1,
using fsfs.  It is small enough that it is practical to move from
machine to machine across an Ethernet conenction.

Can I move it to my laptop, go work elsewhere, and copy back to the
desktop when done, just by keeping the repository and working copy
files synchronized?  Or do I have to do something with registry keys or
other data to make this work?

Tom

Re: Moving Repository Between Windows Machines

Posted by tr...@clayst.com.
On 3 Dec 2004 Jeroen Leenarts wrote:

> There are no external dependancies in a repository. Pick the whole
> directory up and drop it where you want.

Thanks.  As far as I know that is only true for fsfs -- I already tried
it with bdb, with very poor results!

> I don't know how much time you spend out doors with your laptop.
> But if you have access to your desktop on a daily basis why nog use
> svnserve configured as a service. Then it's a simple matter of checking
> out the repository on your laptop from your desktop, go outside, do your
> thing, get back and comit your changes. When you want to do something
> with your desktop, same idea... Do an update and start working.

Actually I had considered that but didn't want to go to all the trouble
of setting up a service.  If I do it I think I might be better off to
just do it on the internal Linux box which I have here and use as a
fileserver, and just run svn in full client-server mode.  So maybe I
will move the repository for now, and set up svnserve when I have time.

Posted by Jeroen Leenarts <le...@tiscali.nl>.
trlists@clayst.com wrote:

>I have a single-user repository stored locally on Windows, svn 1.1.1,
>using fsfs.  It is small enough that it is practical to move from
>machine to machine across an Ethernet conenction.
>
>Can I move it to my laptop, go work elsewhere, and copy back to the
>desktop when done, just by keeping the repository and working copy
>files synchronized?  Or do I have to do something with registry keys or
>other data to make this work?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Tom

There are no external dependancies in a repository. Pick the whole
directory up and drop it where you want.

I don't know how much time you spend out doors with your laptop.
But if you have access to your desktop on a daily basis why nog use
svnserve configured as a service. Then it's a simple matter of checking
out the repository on your laptop from your desktop, go outside, do your
thing, get back and comit your changes. When you want to do something
with your desktop, same idea... Do an update and start working.

Setting up svnserve as a service is not that hard to accomplish and it
could be well worth the effort.

Jeroen