Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Alexandre Dupriez <al...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/13 08:17:18 UTC

UnderReplicatedPartitions = 0 and UnderMinPartitionIsrCount > 0

Hello all,

We run into a scenario where we had misconfigured the replication factor
and the minimum in-sync replicas count in such a way that the replication
factor (either default or defined at the topic level) is strictly lower
than the property min.insync.replicas.

We observed broker metrics reporting UnderReplicatedPartitions = 0 and
UnderMinPartitionIsrCount > 0, and the topic’s partitions were unavailable
for producers (with ack=all) and consumers.

Since it seems to be impossible in this scenario to ever reach the number
of in-sync replicas, making partitions permanently unavailable, it could be
worth to prevent this misconfiguration to make its way to the broker, e.g.
a check could be added when a topic is created to ensure the replication
factor is greater than or equals to the minimum number of in-sync replicas.

I may have missed something though. What do you think?

Thank you,
Alexandre

Re: UnderReplicatedPartitions = 0 and UnderMinPartitionIsrCount > 0

Posted by Alexandre Dupriez <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello James,

Many thanks for your quick response and pointing out the associated JIRA.

Happy to dig a bit on the function paths affected by a consistency check on
these parameters, as explained in the ticket, and see what could be done
(or not).

Thanks,
Alexandre

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.