Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2012/07/10 01:52:53 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417 (and Flex has been trademark signed off by Adobe for donation to Apache)

Hi,

This is a parity release with Adobe Flex 4.6.0.

The Adobe donation of the Flex trademark was signed off by Adobe on July 4th - Independence Day!  Now is the time to download this kit, test it out and vote on it's release.  I'd like to get a minimum of 10 positive votes but more would be great.

The official Apache distribution is the source kit which can contain only source.
Because of this requirement, and various licensing constraints, there are a few differences.

Please see the RELEASE_NOTES and the README.

Distributions:
http://people.apache.org/~cframpton/ApacheFlexRC/release_candidate_3/<http://people.apache.org/~cframpton/ApacheFlexRC/release_candidate_2/>

Fixes from Release Candidate 2 (build 1358354):
fix copylocale for both the bin and source packages
makeApacheFlexForFlashBuilder now assumes it is in the Flex SDK and doesn't download it (source kit must be built first)

Before voting please review the section,
"What are the ASF requirements on approving a release?", at
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

Carol

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417 (and Flex has been trademark signed off by Adobe for donation to Apache)

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Carlos,

There are some descriptor files that need to be created for Flash Builder
to "see" the SDK, yet are not created during the compile process.
(flex-sdk-description.xml I believe?).

You need to either create these by hand, or use the
makeApacheFlexForFlashBuilder tool that has been talked about in these
threads to create the file for you.

-Nick

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Carol,

Posted by Peter Elst <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Peter

AW: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417 (and Flex has been trademark signed off by Adobe for donation to Apache)

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1 (non binding)

Testsuite of Flexmojos 6 is green now (Except swz related) ... sorted out the ASDoc problems.
Good job guys :-)

Posted by Joan Llenas Masó <jo...@garnetworks.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
+1, Binding

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (no binding)

Posted by Glenn Williams <in...@tinylion.co.uk>.
Everything worked fine for me just.

>From a clean download of trunk. Build fine.

So +1 from me if we all can vote.

(and Flex has been trademark signed off by Adobe for donation to Apache)

+1, Binding

The compile went off without a hitch.  My apps compiled, and the AIR 3.3
apps I've been pushing out seem to be good as well.  Functional Tests
showing everything I'm testing for is within tolerance of being the same as
4.6.0,

Great job!

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 Apache PPMC Member

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
+1, Binding

Re: [Discuss] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/9/12 8 :23PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Minor issue I think. There's a duplication of the asDocs zip file in the
>root directory and the docs directory.

Fixed.

>Congrats on the Flex has been trademark signed off! I never thought that
>would happen :-)

Alex spent lots of time making that happen.

RE: [Discuss] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3. Issue with mobile projects?

Posted by 원영국 <en...@naver.com>.
Read my post, please.

http://airdev.tistory.com/594

Dev for love
d(^-^)b

-----

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/11/12 7 :10AM, "Jason Moore" <Ja...@harksolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I downloaded the RC3 binary and  compiled a mobile app, couple of things
>cropped up.
>
>* Missing textLayout.swc ... I had to pull in the swc from the Adobe 4.6
>sdk to compile as we use the flashx. textLayout package.

Did you follow the steps in the "Using the Binary Distribution" in the
README?
You must download the thirdparty dependencies.  At a minimum you need TLF
(textLayout.swc) and OSMF (osmf.swc).

>* Flash builder fails to recognise flash.* packages for the purposes of
>IDE help / auto completion .. though they must be there as it compiles
>fine.

I'll look into this but I don't really use this stuff so it would help if
you could give me an explicit example (with steps).

>* For some reason I get lots of ... "warning: incompatible embedded font
>'Helvetica' specified for spark.components::Label (Label70) . This
>component requires that the embedded font be declared with
>embedAsCFF=true." ... and which messes with the fonts,  which I don't
>get when using 4.6.

Did you download the optional support for embedded fonts?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/11/12 7 :10AM, "Jason Moore" <Ja...@harksolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I downloaded the RC3 binary and  compiled a mobile app, couple of things
>cropped up.

>* Flash builder fails to recognise flash.* packages for the purposes of
>IDE help / auto completion .. though they must be there as it compiles
>fine.

I spent several hours on this one.  Yesterday, I could get into situations
were I didn't get content assist.  I thought I had the case narrowed down
and then when I went to test one last time content assist was working.
This morning I created a new workspace and tried sdks that I built for
FlashBuilder from both the flex source kit and the flex binary kit.  I got
content assist in both cases.  I tried the same with the FB7 pre-release I
have and I also got content assist in both cases.  If you can come up with
a scenario that I can reproduce then I can look into it but at this point
I haven't found anything to fix.

RE: [Discuss] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3. Issue with mobile projects?

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I haven't noticed the same, but I have been compiling all my mobile apps
against AIR 3.3 due to some issues I ran across with 3.1 in regards to some
critical ANEs I've been using...

-Nick

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/12 10 :36AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>...1) I understand Flex requires a number of external dependencies to
>>build, do we have an exact list somewhere to establish that the
>>licenses of all required and optional dependencies are compatible?...

> The "Software Dependencies" section of the README is my attempt to
> document this.
> I identify each dependency and what license applies to each.

Ok, I had overlooked that, looks totally fine to me, thanks!

-Bertrand

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

>>2) I don't think my question about how
>>./frameworks/projects/flash-integration/FLA/ContentHolder.fla can be
>>proven harmless [1] has been answered.

Carol and Alex,

Will it still work with the build tools if we made this a CS5.5 style FLA instead? If so, that version is basically a zip file which could be provided exploded and zipped/renamed during the build.

Mike

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I'm hoping that highlighting the license dependencies and the required
files as we post 'official builds'.  My hope is that whomever is posting
the builds to the site will verify they didn't change.

-Nick

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 1:27 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm giving my +1 (binding IPMC vote)
Thanks for the vote.

> I don't think the rat report should be run against a package - it should be
> run against the source tree directly.
>
> The rat report then reports as expected.
I would argue it should be run against the package in case the build script
packages something it shouldn't.  Also, I thought we could release subsets
of the source tree.  Once we put in the mustella tests, there could be more
FLA files in the tree that we wouldn't put in the package that would be used
to test integration with Flash Pro.

> (2) I wonder if the build can be simplified and not require as much
> manipulation of environment variables. I'd like to see a helper script or App
> to setup the parameter file: env.properties
Yes, I would like to see Om's installer help with that someday.

> There are good examples for some of this, but I really am having trouble
> finding where Adobe installed one components on my Mac.
>
> So I cannot properly set env.FLASHPLAYER_DEBUGGER
I think this should point to a standalone debugger (aka Projector Content
Debugger).  I have mine pointing to the one in an Adobe Flex SDK I have.  I
think it is a zip file on the Adobe site and you can put it somewhere.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 4 :27PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm giving my +1 (binding IPMC vote)

Thanks.

>(1) I've checked the signatures and md5.
>
>(2) I wanted to run the rat report from the src package but needed to
>change the build.xml:
>
>$ diff build-save.xml build.xml
>1610,1611c1610,1611
><         <antcall target="clean-temp" />
><         <unzip src="${basedir}/out/${source.kit}.zip"
>dest="${basedir}/temp"/>
>---
>>         <!--<antcall target="clean-temp" />
>>         <unzip src="${basedir}/out/${source.kit}.zip"
>>dest="${basedir}/temp"/>-->
>1613c1613
><         <property name="rat.dir" value="${basedir}/temp"/>
>---
>>         <property name="rat.dir" value="${basedir}"/>
>
>I don't think the rat report should be run against a package - it should
>be run against the source tree directly.

The reason I ran it against the package is that not all the source is in
the package, or at least when I started, not all the source was in the
package because not all the source was "source".  I think we've clean
everything up now so we could just do an svn export and put everything in
the zip/tar.  That is something I would change for next time.

>(2) I wonder if the build can be simplified and not require as much
>manipulation of environment variables. I'd like to see a helper script or
>App to setup the parameter file: env.properties
>
>There are good examples for some of this, but I really am having trouble
>finding where Adobe installed one components on my Mac.
>
>So I cannot properly set env.FLASHPLAYER_DEBUGGER

I understand the frustration.  We'll have to see if we can get better at
it.  Many of us have several versions for development so we know exactly
where they are.

>(3) There were Java 1.4 vs. Java 5 warnings related to Batik and
>Velocity. It's optional, but some effort ought to be made with the those
>projects to see about updating to the most current versions and managing
>any remaining differences as overrides.
>
>Batik: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail.html#batik-dev
>Velocity: http://velocity.apache.org/mail-lists.html

Yes, very ugly.  Because we have changes in the old version of Batik and
Velocity it isn't easy to upgrade - that's the reason we had to fork them.

>(4) A bunch of Messages from Extensions Manager:
>
>     [exec] 2012-07-13 13:11:13.693 Adobe Extension Manager
>CS5[20292:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0xd91e20 of class
>NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Haven't seen these before.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
I'm giving my +1 (binding IPMC vote)

(1) I've checked the signatures and md5.

(2) I wanted to run the rat report from the src package but needed to change the build.xml:

$ diff build-save.xml build.xml
1610,1611c1610,1611
<         <antcall target="clean-temp" />
<         <unzip src="${basedir}/out/${source.kit}.zip" dest="${basedir}/temp"/>
---
>         <!--<antcall target="clean-temp" />
>         <unzip src="${basedir}/out/${source.kit}.zip" dest="${basedir}/temp"/>-->
1613c1613
<         <property name="rat.dir" value="${basedir}/temp"/>
---
>         <property name="rat.dir" value="${basedir}"/>

I don't think the rat report should be run against a package - it should be run against the source tree directly.

The rat report then reports as expected.

(2) I wonder if the build can be simplified and not require as much manipulation of environment variables. I'd like to see a helper script or App to setup the parameter file: env.properties

There are good examples for some of this, but I really am having trouble finding where Adobe installed one components on my Mac.

So I cannot properly set env.FLASHPLAYER_DEBUGGER

(3) There were Java 1.4 vs. Java 5 warnings related to Batik and Velocity. It's optional, but some effort ought to be made with the those projects to see about updating to the most current versions and managing any remaining differences as overrides.

Batik: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail.html#batik-dev
Velocity: http://velocity.apache.org/mail-lists.html

(4) A bunch of Messages from Extensions Manager:

     [exec] 2012-07-13 13:11:13.693 Adobe Extension Manager CS5[20292:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0xd91e20 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Great work people!

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 1:25 PM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/12 12:07 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> ....It is optional, only those wishing to create components for Flex via
>> Flash
>> Pro need to use it.
>>
>>> Is there a reasonable way to for a user to validate this FLA?
>> Maybe I don't understand what it means to validate.  If you open the FLA in
>> Flash Pro you can see what is in it....
>
> What I meant is: how can a user be assured that that FLA, as binary
> file, won't harm their system or contain a trojan or something like
> that. Any developer who knows the language can check such things on
> source code, whereas it's much harder for binaries - so how about that
> particular file?
>
> (again, I'm clueless about the FLA format - if someone can tell me
> that such files cannot possibly contain bad stuff I'm fine with that).
>
> -Bertrand
I don't think a FLA can harm your system.  If you open it in Flash Pro, it
will just sit there.  I don't know of any way to have it execute a startup
script (which I don't think is necessarily true for an MS Word file).

I assume we aren't worried about an attack on folks who double-click to open
a file?

Now if you generate the SWF from the FLA file and run it, it could do some
damage, but I assume we expect someone to introspect the project before just
running it?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 1:02 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> OK. Should this be part of Om's InstallApacheFlex utility. If it becomes a
> problem for someone on the IPMC then we can download it on demand like other
> components.
All other options in Om's tool are about things not owned by Apache Flex.
Apache Flex owns this FLA.  The FLA is put into an add-on/plug-in for Flash
Pro by the build script.

I can imagine a future where we want to provide examples/templates for other
graphical tools to supply components and assets to Flex, like PhotoShop,
Illustrator and potentially other non-Adobe drawing tools.  Yes, we could
have these as extras outside the source distribution, but I would want them
to be in the main distribution so folks don't have to go through a second
step to get them.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 13, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 7/13/12 12:07 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> Quoting Bertrand - "If there's a reasonable way to
>> validate that particular fla, and it's only optional and not required
>> to use Apache Flex anyway, it can probably stay in the release IMO,
>> but Incubator PMC members might think differently."
>>
> It is optional, only those wishing to create components for Flex via Flash
> Pro need to use it.

OK. Should this be part of Om's InstallApacheFlex utility. If it becomes a problem for someone on the IPMC then we can download it on demand like other components.

>> Is there a reasonable way to for a user to validate this FLA?
> Maybe I don't understand what it means to validate.  If you open the FLA in
> Flash Pro you can see what is in it.  How does one validate the .DOC files
> in AOO?

For AOO and POI the included .DOC files are clearly test documents that are used by the test suites to confirm functionality. Users will need to trust that these are all suitable for that use. It is possible for POI (not sure about AOO) that some of these files may be examples of those that are badly formed and their purpose is to check security.

The purpose of the FLA is to show a user how to work in Flash Pro? If so, that's a bit different. Let's see if it really becomes an issue.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 13, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 7/13/12 7:36 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> 2) I don't think my question about how
>> ./frameworks/projects/flash-integration/FLA/ContentHolder.fla can be
>> proven harmless [1] has been answered.
> You can open the file using Adobe Flash Pro as it is a project/source file.
>
> In general, how does any project provide examples and libraries intended for
> other applications?  Can Apache Open Office provide a MS Word .DOC file to
> show that it can be handled by AOO?

AOO provides *.doc files in several test directories within its source release. No one has told us (with my AOO PPMC hat) that is wrong. They are all clearly test files.

Apache POI does the same as well. Again these are in clear test-data directories (with Apache POI PMC hat).

In both projects the *.doc files are optional and used for testing.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 10 :36AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>
>wrote:
>> ...Please make sure you are voting on Release
>> Candidate 3 not Release Candidate 2.
>
>+1 for the RC3 release, see below for details of what I checked.
>
>I haven't tried building, as an incubation mentor I don't care about
>the technical quality of the release, I'll trust Flex PPMC members to
>check that.
>
>Open questions that do not affect my vote for this first release:
>
>1) I understand Flex requires a number of external dependencies to
>build, do we have an exact list somewhere to establish that the
>licenses of all required and optional dependencies are compatible? The
>requirements are slightly different for required and optional, see
>http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html

The "Software Dependencies" section of the README is my attempt to
document this.
I identify each dependency and what license applies to each.

>2) I don't think my question about how
>./frameworks/projects/flash-integration/FLA/ContentHolder.fla can be
>proven harmless [1] has been answered.

This one is for Alex.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
+1 (not binding)

Tested RC3, build from sources, make sdk for Flash Builder and test in a
project without problems

Good work! Can't wait to see it released! :)

Carlos Rovira

Posted by Igor Costa <ig...@gmail.com>.
+1

Ok RC3 is ready to release.

Worked smooth down here on Windows 7 with java 6,7 jre

Best Regards
----------------------------
Igor Costa
www.igorcosta.com
www.igorcosta.org

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/13/12 2:08 PM, "Christophe Herreman" <ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I downloaded both kits again to make really sure. There is no en_US folder
> in airspark in any of them.

That's correct, but I believe copylocale is modified to tolerate that in
RC3.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Christophe Herreman <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Christophe Herreman <ch...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to jump in late guys.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding). It's looking good.

I had previously voted +0.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Justin's mobile app problem was: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417 ...

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I downloaded/installed the SDK - this time using the IDE packager (from SVN) and was able to compile and run application for iPhone, iPad and Android with no issues.

It possible that the SDK I was using didn't have the AIR SDK as the URL were broken at some point. If I get some time I'll take a look over the weekend.

Thanks,
Justin

BTW The IDE packager compiles (to a dmg) installs and run fine on a Mac.

Re: Justin's mobile app problem was: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 - RC3 - build number 1359417 ...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I got a mobile app to run on mac emulating android with descriptor namespace
3.1

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
And your emulated device?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Binding)

Copylocale issue has been fixed in RC3
My smoke test projects are working fine as well.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
***Last call****.  Please install the kit, test it out, and report any
problems immediately.  I hope to wrap this up tomorrow which for me is EDT
(or UTC/GMT -4 hours).

So far we've gotten 3 +1 binding votes (Nick Kwiatkowski, Michael
Labriola, Peter Elst) and 5 non-binding +1 votes.  I'd love to see more
people voting.

http://people.apache.org/~cframpton/ApacheFlexRC/release_candidate_3/

Don't forget that you need to download the thirdparty-downloads to get a
complete Flex kit.  See the README

Carol

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.