Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/15 12:03:40 UTC

FXG to SVG - working example

I quickly whipped up a proof of concept proving the FXG to SVG
interoperability.

The working demo can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/fxg2svg/svg.html (Tested to be working
fine on Chrome 25, Firefox 19 and IE 10 on Windows)

I did not have time to write a stylesheet, so I hand created a simple SVG
element based on an FXG element.  I chose the most basic element: "Rect"
which is available as "rect" in SVG.  Once I had the basic set up working,
all I had to do was modify the svg's attributes using Javascript.  This
happens during runtime, but we could totally move this to the compilation
stage.

As you can see, I have proven that rendering fidelity can be achieved using
this route.  At the same time, this can be plugged into the AS to JS
translation piece that Mike, Erik, et al. are working on.  From what I see
in that project, there is no faithful rendering solution (yet)  You
probably discussed about rendering that I might have missed.

When I get some more time, I will start fiddling with more and more FXG
elements and see how SVG handles them.  At some point, writing a stylesheet
would be more efficient.

Just right click either the Flex app or the HTML content to view the source
of both.  Comments and suggestions for improvement highly appreciated.
This is a very basic demo, dealing mostly about rendering fidelity. But
IMHO, this unleashes a ton of possibilities.

(And no, FXG is not dead - yet.  ;-) )

Thanks,
Om

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
My iPhone 5 shows the red square with rounded corner, text above it
and within it and an onclick alert.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> FWIW, Peter and I are pretty much done with the basic set of unstyleable,
> unskinnable HTML4 components.  Peter and I were going to work on styleable
> HTML4 components next then tackle HTML5 and bitmap skinning, but maybe we
> should jump to wrapping the HTML5 components so you can try getting your
> skinning model to work on them.

Sounds exciting.  I am in!  I can help as much as I can.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Right,

And this is why I wrote another compiler for as to js. Try doing what
you want with the FalconJS code base, good luck, if you can I salute
you.

Don't take what I said as arrogance, I am saying I am a framework
architect, I can't concern myself with what you are worried about. I
have no opinion on it (UI wise), since its not my cup of tea. I see
flaws in trying to compile things to HTML5/JS considering I am the
one(of 2) writing the compiler.

Mike

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Om <bi...@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Michael Schmalle
> <ap...@teotigraphix.com>wrote:
>
>> BTW,
>>
>> When I say I am not interested in the view cross compilation... All that
>> means is that I am saying don't wait for me to implement any of it. I am
>> being very direct in what my goals are with FlaconJx anyways, I just wanted
>> something that would cross compile actionscript to a multiple output
>> possibilities. This allows others as Erik is proving to do what they need
>> with the end product.
>>

> Thanks for clarifying, Mike.  I really want to play along with what good
> work you folks have been doing.  I dont think I can sustain starting a new
> top-down approach on my own.

Well if you did, you would have the traversing, emitters and compiler
to write. :) It ain't no small task. Understanding how Falcon parses
and uses FutureTasks etc, takes a but of time to get the feet wet.

I am sure in the future, I will have time to share my experience with
others about the lower level of the compiler so we can fix things if
the need arises.

> Om
>

>> My days of flex components are over, thank goodness. :)
>>

> I've ready your old blog posts.  Lets see :-)

Ha, I think I get your joke, yeah well 8 years of ui component dev
killed me. :)

Mike

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I'll leave the question on how much FalconJx is different from
FalconJS - and if you can "just copy" stuff over - to Mike. I'm just
the guy who copy-pastes (?) bits of code around and tries to look cool
doing it.

Mike?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I read this thread too quickly, and without thinking.  FXG -> SVG.
 I was talking about going in the other direction.  Parsing and displaying
SVG or FXG in Flash (Dynamically, at run time).  Nevertheless, if someone
is interested in that - you may find my comment useful.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I barely touch mobile (at the moment). If I did I would probably be interested. I'm hoping someone else picks up on this…

Harbs

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
BTW,

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
There is no major surgery anywhere.

If you study the framework like I have, there is really only one way
to assemble a compiler in Falcon.

What I haven't done is allow for this other processing (css,
properties). Honestly this has not even fit into a use case for me and
I never thought about needing it for the project.

Falcon is not a compiler, its a framework of components that can be
put together to make a compiler front end. The problem is, SWF is so

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/15/13 11:54 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>> My personal goals:
>> 1) For the year: get a major Adobe customer to buy into using this
>> technology.  This helps ensure I can continue to work on it full time.  I
>> will shift my priorities in order to grab such a customer.  For example
>> today I am enhancing HTTPService because a potential customer is interested.
>> 2) For next month: get data-binding {} syntax to work
>> 3) For the month after that: finish CSS to JS
>> 4) For next quarter: Try to port something like "old FlexStore"
>> 5) Also for next quarter: Cut an official release (alpha-level)
>> 6) Continously: get more people to try it and get involved.
>
> Alex, this has me a bit concerned. There is no way I can keep up with
> you in my spare time, if you continue to keep working in FalconJS full
> time. If I don't keep up with you, the switch to FalconJx will become
> more and more difficult. Having looked into the soul of FalconJS the
> past weeks, I agree with Mike and others that it doesn't look like the
> way forward for AS -> JS. Also, with FalconJx we can offer future
> users (customers?) options - VanillaSDK, AMD, FlexJS, the new FXG
> stuff I don't understand the first thing about - something that I'm
> sure will help "sell" Apache Flex to them. And one cross-compiler to
> rule them all will focus this community and give it a sense of
> direction.
>
> So... can we convince you to make the move to FalconJx a priority?
> Moving FlexJS over will mean that we all cooperate on the same
> codebase, something I'm sure will help your cause along much more
> efficient than keeping up the fragmented approach we have right now.
> With the move behind us, I would be very willing to make your goals my
> own as I believe your involvement is crucial for the continued success
> of the project.

As soon as we get out of this Git transition and you check in even a partial
implementation of MXML handling, I plan to get FalconJX and take a closer
look.

My understanding is that it is still based on Falcon and uses the futures
mechanism to compile compilation units.  I am assuming it has not changed
the notion of "subcompilers".  There are different "subcompilers" for
different kinds of file types: FXG, CSS, SWC, MXML, AS.  Mike and you
reworked the AS "subcompiler". You are working on the MXML subcompiler.  #3
in the list above involves working with the CSS sub-compiler.  Om may be
working with the FXG subcompiler.  These things should generally "just work"
with FalconJX.

The databinding stuff appears to be a bunch of classes in the MXML
subcompiler and more classes elsewhere.  For me, I want to understand how it
works in classic Falcon so I can understand how we're going to deal with it
in both the AS side and JS side of FlexJS.  And once I figure it out, I hope
I can just copy the implementation in FalconJX.

It is true that the CSS subcompiler uses the BURM, but it works for FlexJS
and I don't know if we are in any hurry to change that.  Do we have to
un-BURM FalconJX or can we just not use the BURM for AS/MXML?  BTW, the JS
output for CSS is actually just going to be text/css so I might just pass
over the BURM on the JS/JX but I don't know if it is worth re-coding the AS
side just to un-BURM it.  At least not right away.

I have to keep doing my work in FalconJS until you are mostly ready with
MXML in FalconJX because I am feeling lots of pressure to establish FlexJS
ASAP.  I am currently trying to sell one internal team at Adobe on it.  If I
had waited for FalconJX I would not be able to demo what I can today.  And I

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/15/13 10:00 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Once this ever extending forced (or self imposed?) period of
>> inactivity while we wait for git might be just the thing we need to
>> synchronise our efforts and (dare one say it...) talk about a near
>> future roadmap a bit?
>>
>> EdB
>>

> +1 for some sort of a roadmap for this project.  If someone wants to build
> a reasonably complex (pure) Flex app, we can use that as our end goal.
>  This would help us look beyond the abstract concentrate on real world
> problems.

Roadmap!?  There are no roadmaps in Apache Flex :-)

We are in prototype stage.  I think it is ok to have different goals.  For
sure, we all agree we're trying to get from AS/MXML to JS, but IMO, the next
level down can have some wiggle room for now.  What is important to you
doesn't have to truly match me.  I'm actually glad you want to take on
vector skinning because it will help prove we don't create a skinning model
that is too biased one way or the other.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> I think we need one "little big" push to get FlexJS to work on
> FalconJx. From that point on, all of these efforts will be on one
> stack (Falcon - FalconJx - output classes/modules/plugins). This
> integration will benefit all of these components in that we can report
> bugs and define requirements back and forth, as well as write tests on
> a single base, ensuring operability between releases.

Agree 100% with you there.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> I think we need one "little big" push to get FlexJS to work on
> FalconJx. From that point on, all of these efforts will be on one
> stack (Falcon - FalconJx - output classes/modules/plugins). This
> integration will benefit all of these components in that we can report
> bugs and define requirements back and forth, as well as write tests on
> a single base, ensuring operability between releases.

That's part of what I'm waiting for. If I can see a clear path then I can
jump in and help (time permitting). When I say clear I mean clear to me.
Getting a full stack, "...(Falcon - FalconJx - output
classes/modules/plugins)" sounds likes the clearing in the forest. But as I
said in an earlier post I'll try and get things setup and help myself get a
clearer picture as well.

> Once this ever extending forced (or self imposed?) period of
> inactivity while we wait for git might be just the thing we need to
> synchronise our efforts and (dare one say it...) talk about a near
> future roadmap a bit?

 There's nothing that says we can't have roadmaps or goals in a project. It
says it's up to the head of the project how they want to do it. I think
where the fuss comes in is when trying to set globally scoped roadmaps. No
one will make a fuss if we set locally scoped or cellular roadmaps. Knowing
what people in the group are trying to do would help other people in the
group help them with respect to what I mentioned above.

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
BTW,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: FXG to SVG - working example

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Om,

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Nobody said it was simple... it's just that he put it together really
quickly ;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software