Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org> on 2002/06/11 16:28:51 UTC

Problems with diff3 on win32

I'm trying to support my boss and a co-worker with SVN clients on win32.
They keep coming across situations (from working with the same code)
where an "svn up" requires merging updates and local changes. Diff3
keeps exiting with error 2 and leaves the merge incomplete. I've tried
several versions of diff3 including the one from unxutils.sf.net, aswell
as the latest 0.13.0 binaries.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? I have no win32 environment in
which to test this, nor can I do any debugging and building.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

Re: Problems with diff3 on win32

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org> writes:
> > I'm trying to support my boss and a co-worker with SVN clients on win32.
> > They keep coming across situations (from working with the same code)
> > where an "svn up" requires merging updates and local changes. Diff3
> > keeps exiting with error 2 and leaves the merge incomplete. I've tried
> > several versions of diff3 including the one from unxutils.sf.net, aswell
> > as the latest 0.13.0 binaries.
> >
> > Anyone able to shed some light on this? I have no win32 environment in
> > which to test this, nor can I do any debugging and building.
>
> I've never seen this happen before, can't shed any light.
>
> But if we had a full repro recipe (even one that requires their
> environment), it would be more information, maybe we could figure it
> out from looking at the data...

Could it be the SVN_DIFF3_HAS_DIFF_PROGRAM_ARG stuff?  If the svn
binary passes --diff-program to diff3 version 2.7 then diff3 will
fail.  On the other hand, if svn fails to pass --diff-program to diff3
version 2.8 then diff3 may fail to invoke diff.

--
Philip

Re: Problems with diff3 on win32

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org> writes:

> C:\dqse>\svn\svn cleanup /dqse
>
> svn_error: #21043 : <Problem running log>
>   in directory /dqse
>
> svn_error: #21043 : <Problem running log>
>   start_handler: error processing command 'merge' in /dqse
>
> svn_error: #21087 : <Error calling external program>
>   svn_wc_merge() returned an unexpected error
>
> svn_error: #21087 : <Error calling external program>
>   Error running c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin\diff3.exe:  exitcode was 2, args were:
> in directory /dqse, basenames:
> ui-source.dqs.63976.00001.tmp
> ui-source.dqs.63868.00001.tmp
> ui-source.dqs.63872.00001.tmp

"exitcode was 2" indicates that diff3 is starting but failing. Can you
run diff3 manually from the command line?  Can you run it on the three
named files?

--
Philip

Re: Problems with diff3 on win32

Posted by Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:30:07PM +0200, Branko ??ibej wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to support my boss and a co-worker with SVN clients on win32.
> >They keep coming across situations (from working with the same code)
> >where an "svn up" requires merging updates and local changes. Diff3
> >keeps exiting with error 2 and leaves the merge incomplete. I've tried
> >several versions of diff3 including the one from unxutils.sf.net, aswell
> >as the latest 0.13.0 binaries.
> >
> >Anyone able to shed some light on this? I have no win32 environment in
> >which to test this, nor can I do any debugging and building.
> >

> It works for me, using the latest diffutils from Cygwin. Have you tried
> that? You don't even have to install all of cygwin, just cygwin1.dll,
> cygintl-1.dll, diff.exe and diff3.exe.. I can upload a minimal package
> for you somewhere, if that'll help (it's about 400k).

Can you give me a URL?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.