Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Helmut Leininger <h....@gmx.at> on 2021/12/08 18:21:42 UTC

Netbeans 12.6 - nb-javac

Hi,

I have seen there was (and is) some discussion about nb-javac. Is it
recommended to use it with NB 12.6 or should it be removed ?

Thanks
Helmut Leininger

Re: Netbeans 12.6 - nb-javac

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

> On Dec 10, 2021, at 1:53 PM, Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:
>
> On 10.12.2021 19:24, Marvin P. Warble Jr. wrote:
>> You'll need to check the "Show Details" checkbox to see it.
>
> Ah, that's the trick. Thank you!

Does that checkbox add anything useful or is it just there to cause frustration like this? :-)
Why isn’t it just gone and the default behaviour is as if it were checked?

I think “details” is the wrong word for the different views it controls.  It seems like the list changes from “Features” (unchecked) to “Plugins” (checked) .. but even that isn’t quite right. As “User Installed Plugins”  (what a search for nb-javac shows when this is unchecked) is far too broad of a category to be manipulated as a single item in the list.

Note that under “Available Plugins” there is no such checkbox and the list is “detailed".  The “Installed Plugins” tab being different makes the UI awkward IMO.

Scott

Re: Netbeans 12.6 - nb-javac

Posted by Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at>.

--
Christoph

RE: Netbeans 12.6 - nb-javac

Posted by "Marvin P. Warble Jr." <mw...@corvusengineering.com.INVALID>.
If it's installed, you can uninstall it from the Tools => Plugins => Installed dialog.  You'll need to check the "Show Details" checkbox to see it.

Posted by Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at>.
How do I uninstall nb-javac?

--
Christoph

RE: Netbeans 12.6 - nb-javac

Posted by "Marvin P. Warble Jr." <mw...@corvusengineering.com.INVALID>.
Hey Helmut,

According to this page:

https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb120/index.html  =>  In these scenarios, make sure to uninstall the NetBeans "nb-javac" fork, if it is installed, and to not install it when prompted to do so. The "nb-javac" fork does not support the latest Java language features and is mandatory only when you run Apache NetBeans on JDK 8. Over time, Apache NetBeans aims to move away completely from the "nb-javac" fork, except for when JDK 8 is used to run Apache NetBeans, since JDK 8 does not provide the capabilities enabling Apache NetBeans to use its Java compiler in support of its Java Editor features.

I just discovered that refactoring issues I’ve been having with 12 for over a year now seem to be related to the existence of nb-javac.  For some reason I thought nb-javac needed to be installed.  I think I made this assumption because I develop web apps and when NB installs the J2EE support for web apps, it also installs nb-javac giving the impression that nb-javac is needed for webapp development.

When I uninstalled the nb-javac plugin this week, my refactoring problems went away.  These problems consisted of NB throwing exceptions and mangling code when trying to rename classes or methods or moving classes to new packages when those classes / methods had more than a dozen or so dependencies.

With that said, this was the case for 12.5.  When I upated to 12.6 this week and tried to uninstall nb-javac, I ran into other problems.  I’ve since switched back to 12.5 as I don’t have time to try to troubleshoot why 12.6 isn’t working.

M. Warble