Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/10 19:12:17 UTC

The growth of GraphQL.

Hello TinkerPoppers,

Please see this:
	https://facebook.github.io/relay/docs/thinking-in-graphql.html

GraphQL seems to be popping up more and more. It would be great if someone in their community built a compiler to Gremlin's instruction set so that GraphQL (like Kupptiz's SPARQL-Gremlin) worked over TinkerPop-enabled graph systems. Does anyone have any insights into how the GraphQL community functions and who to talk to to try and get some collaboration between TinkerPop and GraphQL?

Thanks,
Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Jonathan Schneider <jo...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Matt,

GraphQL/Falcor are absolutely QBE languages.

Satisfying GraphQL queries directly from a TP3 graph without having to
write all of the binding logic would be useful.  Satisfying these queries
is way too tedious right now.

Here is one example of a way TP3 could help (there are others):

Suppose I have two domain objects and a simple in-memory map of both based
on ID for my data store:

data class Person(val id: Int, val name: String, val livesAt: Address)
data class Address(val id: Int, val street: String, val city: String)

This query is easy to satisfy with one index lookup, because Person already
has a pointer to Address:

{ person(id: 123) { name, addressLivesAt { street, city } } }

The reverse requires an index lookup and a linear scan of all Persons to
find the matching Address:

{ address(id: 456) { street,
city, personLivesAt { name } } }

Of course we could augment our data model as follows:

data class Address(val id: Int, val street: String, val city: String, *val
livesAt: Person*)

Or we could store a separate Map<Address, Person> and cheapen the lookup
somewhat.  Either way, we have to manage this separately.  If both models
are stored in a graph, e.g...

( Person ) --- livesAt ---> ( Address )

... then both queries are satisfiable with a single index lookup and
index-free adjacency.  Also, there is no need to alter the structure of
Addresses to answer a new query.

Jon

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Matt Frantz <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by James Thornton <ja...@jamesthornton.com>.
Marko -

David Nolen -- the ClojureScript lead -- gave a talk a few months back that
gives an overview of how Facebook's Relay/GraphQL and Netscape's
JSONGraph/Falcor relate, where they fit, and the problems they are trying
to solve, e.g. using Relay/GraphQL and JSONGraph/Falcor to declare
composable graph fragments for querying across distributed services:

   - Om Next - David Nolen
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByNs9TG30E8

   - Keynote - JSON Graph: Reactive REST at Netflix
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOE6nVVr14c

   - Data fetching for React applications at Facebook
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sc8Pyc51uU

- James

--
James Thornton, *http://electricspeed.com <http://electricspeed.com>*

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Dylan Millikin <dy...@gmail.com>.
Seems like there's some grey area here.

Surely private companies that qualify as "users" of the stack can provide
feedback and insight as to how it's used, it's limitations and how it can
be improved for their use case - which is what Jon is doing -. Then it's up
to the community to decide what to do (if anything) and individuals at the
company in question are open to participate (as individuals - legality) to
the implementation so long as it stays community driven.

At least that's my understanding. Daniel can confirm/refute.

As such I think what Jon means by "steered" would be more accurately
described as to initiate or to incept?

Cheers,
Dylan.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Jason Plurad <pl...@gmail.com>.
Stirring up this old thread, I chatted briefly with Steve Klabnik who just
pitched http://jsonapi.org/ at All Things Open in Raleigh. Seems like there
are similarities here with GraphQL and Falcor as well.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by David Robinson <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jon,

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Jonathan Schneider <jo...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Jonathan Schneider <jo...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
All,

I should have been more clear.  We should not make any decisions on
direction and can summarize any insights for the dev list.

Jon

Re: The growth of GraphQL.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jon,