Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/08/31 21:19:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Drill version 0.5.0-incubating

Oops, correcting the subject.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Drill version 0.5.0-incubating

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Wow, that's just brutal.

It looks like the fmpp maven build plugin has a "latest" dependency on
freemarker.  And freemarker had a failed snapshot build today (yes, today).

See here:
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/freemarker/freemarker/2.3.21-SNAPSHOT/

The latest snapshot, 20140831.213647-3, is missing the jar files.

I'm spinning a new build which freezes the fmpp behavior so that we don't
try to download the broken snapshot.  Talk about one in a million...

New vote starting soon.

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
-1 (Non-binding)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yeah, I've seen that.  It is hard for podlings given the varying requirements.

I've gone through the same pain with many release candidates, so I do sympathise and I do try to give incubator projects a little leeway.

> While they provide some guidelines, they aren't as clear as I'd like

You can ask the incubator or legal for clarification and/or ask to modify anything that is unclear or inconsistent.

> Maybe we can remind people that even HTTPD and Tomcat projects produce binaries :D )

:-)

Thanks,
Justin

BTW I've tried the other projects do this defence in the past. Just note that the guidelines have changed and eveolved  over time and some Apache projects have long histories and may not 100% compatible with current guidelines.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Drill version 0.5.0-incubating

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

> > For points 3 & 4, I think you have a very conservative interpretation of
> Apache requirements which goes beyond the guidelines as well as what other
> projects do.
>
> I think you find the incubator (as a whole) has a more conservative view
> than me.  While the vote in only officially on the source release,
> incubator people may look at the binary for NOTICE, LICENCE and Category
> B/Category X license issues. (See thread on UserGrid currently on general@).
> It up to you what you do but if you include Category B jars and don't
> prompt there's a risk the vote may not pass. If you want I can point out
> several projects that do it this way.

Yeah, I've seen that.  It is hard for podlings given the varying
requirements.  You never know for a certain release who is going to think
something is important that wasn't previously.  But enough whining...

I want to reassure you that a number of people have read the documents
you've told us to follow.  While they provide some guidelines, they aren't
as clear as I'd like and they are clearly inconsistent with what many
projects are doing.

I guess we'll put class-b jars into a separate directory.  Given how
important binary distributions are to the community at large, and the
standard that others projects are achieving, hopefully we'll be able to
convince the general incubator list that we're achieving the spirit of the
Apache guidelines.  (Maybe we can remind people that even HTTPD and Tomcat
projects produce binaries :D )

thanks again for your help,
Jacques

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1. Do an audit of non classifed RAT files and verify that we aren't including other licenses.

May be easier to just add Apache headers to a few things.

> 2. Examine whether we are including unecessary license notices in the files (e.g. JUnit)

Yep.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Yeah, we're spinning another one shortly.  Just waiting on Jason :)

Please test this one some.  Would rather not have to recreate another
release and then find other issues.

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jason Altekruse <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Justin,

I am doing an audit of the Drill source and binary releases to clean up the
dependencies and find the remaining missing licenses.

I believe I have found the missing 9 files you spoke of in a directory of
the project that has gone stale and is no longer is use. The 'sandbox'
directory has a number of files that do not match any of the individual
file filters (by extension), but they were being ignored from the RAT check
by a rule to exclude the whole folder. Removing this shows 9 unknown
licenses (several are just data files without an extension and a few are
old python scripts for a web UI not in use, several mention the apache
license but the format does not match what RAT is looking for)

I want to confirm that these are indeed the correct files before we move
ahead with the next candidate. Is there a means by which you were able to
generate these numbers of standards, apache licenses and missing license
file counts over the whole project, or did you have to use grep over the
individual sub-projects' rat reports?

I want to run the same check that you had earlier to ensure that deleting
this directory does make the numbers line up more appropriately.

-Jason Altekruse

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.