Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kirkal <bi...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/30 01:09:28 UTC

ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

hi! all!

   so i finally got my netwrok issues resolved and set up AMQ 4.0.1 on a
remote host. When  tried to connect to it from my local machine, it hung -
as in, both the broker and client were taking no action.

  when i tried to stop the broekr, i got this message,
ERROR MulticastDiscoveryAgent        - failed to process packet:
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

  and the stop hung,too.

  finally, i shut down the client and got this message from the broker as it
shut down,too:

 WARN  ManagedTransportConnection     - Failed to unregister mbean:
org.apache.activemq:BrokerName=localhost,Type=Connection,ConnectorName=default,Connection=1

  what is going on here?

  please help! thanks!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Do you have the firewall enabled?  Try connecting to the 61616 port using
telnet:
telnet localhost 61616

and see if you connect.  Then again some firewall allow the connection to
get started and then drop every packet afterwords.. so that doe not always
verify connectivity.

On 6/29/06, kirkal <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> will try that tonight and get back to you! thanks!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by kirkal <bi...@gmail.com>.
will try that tonight and get back to you! thanks!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> the result of netstat:
>
> tcp6       0      0 *:61616                 *:*                     LISTEN
>

> the result of nc :
> ?ActiveMQ?TightEncodingEnabledTcpNoDelayEnabledSizePrefixDisabledStackTraceEnabledMaxInactivityDurationu0
>                                           CacheEnabled
>

> So it looks like the broekr's fine. unless *:61616 in netstat is indicative
> of some kind of problem.

That just means it's listening on all interfaces, port 61616.

The next step is probably whipping out the debugger and figuring out
what's going on when the client tries to connect.  Did you enable
debugging in the broker with the instructions on the AMQ Wiki?  That
would probably help a whole lot.

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> thanks for taking the trouble to reply...
>
> well, kubk is the local machine's name - anyway, i changed it from localhost
> to kubk in the code and it is still hanging.
>
> at the risk o f imposing further on your goodwill, any more ideas?

If the broker is bound to the loopback interface vs. "any address",
packets addressed to any other interface aren't going to get to it.

Run netstat and make sure the port is in the LISTEN state on the right
interface and the right address.  Try to connect to the port with
something else like telnet, netcat, etc.  If you can, the broker is fine.

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> broker confguration : i haven't changed a thing from the installation .
>
> INFO  JournalPersistenceAdapter      - Journal Recovered: 0 message(s) in
> transactions recovered.
> INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
> tcp://kubk:61616
> WARN  MulticastDiscoveryAgent        - brokerName not set
> INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector default Started
> INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
> tcp://kubk:61613?wireFormat=stomp
> INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector stomp Started
> INFO  NetworkConnector               - Network Connector default Started
> INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ JMS Message Broker
> (localhost, ID:kubk-32801-1151624707911-1:0) started
>
> Client connection URI:
>
>  ActiveMQConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new
> ActiveMQConnectionFactory("tcp://localhost:61616");
>
> with
>
>  Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();
>             connection.start();
>

> is what i'm using.
>
>  does this suffice?

tcp://kubk:61616

Chances are that the broker isn't listening on localhost:61616.

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> i'm running AMQ 4.0.1 on a linux machine ( Ubuntu dapper ) and , well, what
> other config info would you need?

The broker configuration.  The client connection URI and settings.

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by kirkal <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> whew! guess some ppl were driven to the limits of their patience last time
> :D.
>
> anyway, i set up the localhost versions and the same thing happened again -
> both the client and the broker hung.
>
> any suggestions here?

Configuration looks like...?

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Re: ActiveMQ hangs - 4.0.1!

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.
kirkal wrote:
> hi! all!
>
>    so i finally got my netwrok issues resolved and set up AMQ 4.0.1 on a
> remote host. When  tried to connect to it from my local machine, it hung -
> as in, both the broker and client were taking no action.
>
>   when i tried to stop the broekr, i got this message,
> ERROR MulticastDiscoveryAgent        - failed to process packet:
> java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
>
>   and the stop hung,too.
>
>   finally, i shut down the client and got this message from the broker as it
> shut down,too:
>
>  WARN  ManagedTransportConnection     - Failed to unregister mbean:
> org.apache.activemq:BrokerName=localhost,Type=Connection,ConnectorName=default,Connection=1
>
>   what is going on here?
>
>   please help! thanks!

Based on the length of the previous thread and the amount of progress
you made, try this: Set the broker up on the local host and eliminate
the network from the equation.  Also, without any sort of client or
broker configuration information, there's not much for anyone to go on.

--
Christopher G. Stach II