Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2008/01/16 17:25:16 UTC

moving to Jira

I know its been discussed before, but I'd to raise the idea again:
moving to JIRA for reporting

putting aside the main feature for end users -a better UI- what I like
about using at work is

- automatic polling of SVN and building of a change log from keywords
like  SFOS-123
http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/browse/SFOS-570?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel

-automatic release note building
http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10000&styleName=Html&version=10092

the tool encourages you to move to a world of 'declare the bug', commit
with the bug ID, close the bug. This is something we sort of do in Ant,
but not rigorously enough. Having just started doing some Ant work this
week, I can really feel the difference that switching to bugzilla gives,
its like moving backwards

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
I use gmail, and find the JIRA conversation per message a mess.

I would be -1 until this has been resolved.

Peter

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On 1/16/08, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> I know its been discussed before, but I'd to raise the idea again:
> moving to JIRA for reporting

I know it's GMail's fault, but with bugzilla threading in GMail works
most of the time, whereas it's quite broken with JIRA, and that's a
PITA IMHO. I wouldn't nix JIRA if enough people want it, but I
wouldn't push for it myself obviously... --DD

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I filed it too some time ago. I do not see them fixing it.

- Alexey.

On Jan 16, 2008 11:42 AM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:

> I was +1 on this before, and I am +1 now, particularly since Ivy uses
> it. But the objection that others have concerning threading when reading
> with GMail is a fair reason for vetoing again, as happened before.
>
> I've filed a bug report with Google on their lack of support for
> observing the In-Reply-To header at
> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?direct=1. I suggest you
> all do the same. Perhaps we can encourage them to move toward being
> more compliant with RFC-2822. Then we can finally get the Ant project
> onto Jira.
>
> Steve Loughran wrote:
> >
> > I know its been discussed before, but I'd to raise the idea again:
> > moving to JIRA for reporting

Alexey N. Solofnenko
Home: http://trelony.cjb.net/
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 8:42 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:

> I was +1 on this before, and I am +1 now, particularly since Ivy uses
> it. But the objection that others have concerning threading when reading
> with GMail is a fair reason for vetoing again, as happened before.

Same as Bruce!

Xavier

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

Re: moving to Jira

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
+1,
I found jira much more confortable, and I would like to see ant using the
same bug tracking system than ivy.

Gilles

2008/1/16, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>:

> I know its been discussed before, but I'd to raise the idea again:
> moving to JIRA for reporting
>
> putting aside the main feature for end users -a better UI- what I like
> about using at work is
>
> - automatic polling of SVN and building of a change log from keywords
> like  SFOS-123
>
> http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/browse/SFOS-570?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel
>
> -automatic release note building
>
> http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10000&styleName=Html&version=10092
>
> the tool encourages you to move to a world of 'declare the bug', commit
> with the bug ID, close the bug. This is something we sort of do in Ant,
> but not rigorously enough. Having just started doing some Ant work this
> week, I can really feel the difference that switching to bugzilla gives,
> its like moving backwards
>
> -steve
>

> --
> Steve Loughran                  http://www.1060.org/blogxter/publish/5