Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org> on 2011/08/03 13:51:39 UTC

RE: RE: ApacheCon NA 2011 Speaker Information

Hi Ross,

Do you have any updates on hosting a Rave event at Apachecon?

Were you thinking of a hackathon, a meetup, or both?

Is a hackathon actually an organized event, or do people just sort of find each other and start hacking?

Thanks!

--Jesse

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
>I'm talking to the ApacheCon organisers and there is room for meetup on Tue,
>Wed and
>Thu night 8pm so I indicated that the Wednesday night has our preference.
>
>Sander

Hi Sander -- do you have any updates you could share on the Rave meetup?

Is there anything we can do to help keep it moving forward?

Thanks!

Posted by Sander van der Waal <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 4 August 2011 15:35, Ciancetta, Jesse E. <jc...@mitre.org> wrote:
>>> What about space?  Will there be some place at the venue we can use, or do
>>> we need to book a conference room at someone's hotel?
>>For the Apache Hackathon a separate (large) room already will be available,
>>including free wifi and lots of tables to sit around and with plenty of
>>powerplugs too.
>>
>>Usually this leads to a great and organic chaos where everyone is just hoping
>>around, moving from table to table to sit and work together on whatever they
>>want. It definitely is non-organized, and lot of fun :)
>
> Sounds great -- I propose we hold Rave hackathons on both Monday and Tuesday.

Count me in for the time I'm not running my training.

>>So, if we want to tackle certain goals, its something we/everyone has to
>>"organize" themselves, upfront through email or simply at hoc while we're
>>there.
>
> I think we should come up with a list of goals for the hackathons, but we should wait until we get closer to the event to determine what those goals will be.

+1 although those goals are only guides. Given that the room is full
of all sorts of talented people from many projects one needs to be
open minded about going of on a random experiment with someone.

Ross

RE: ApacheCon NA 2011 Speaker Information

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 3 August 2011 12:51, Ciancetta, Jesse E. <jc...@mitre.org> wrote:
> Do you have any updates on hosting a Rave event at Apachecon?

I've connected Sander to the ApacheCon organisers and he's working on
it. Discuss here and that will help him set up the event we want.

> Were you thinking of a hackathon, a meetup, or both?

At ApacheCon there are two days of hackathon prior to the conference.
I would hope we can organise a bunch of issues we want to tackle
together during that time.

The event Sander is looking at is a MeetUp in the evening. The
objectives of which need to be defined.

> Is a hackathon actually an organized event, or do people just sort of find each other and start hacking?

The hackathon is whatever you want it to be. I've always the most
productive are to have a set of specific goals and to tackle them at
the event. However, they are free-form and nobody is required to
engage.

Ross