Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Toshihiro Suzuki <br...@apache.org> on 2019/07/11 03:47:39 UTC

Can we remove OfflineMetaRepair in the master branch and branch-2+?

Hi folks!

I think we no longer support OfflineMetaRepair in HBase-2.x and it has a
critical bug that breaks the meta data:

Actually, I have seen several cases where some users ran OfflineMetaRepair
mistakenly in their cluster and corrupted their meta data.

Also, new meta rebuilding tool is being developed by Wellington at the
moment in HBCK2:

So I think we can remove OfflineMetaRepair in the master branch and
branch-2+. What do you think?

If no objections, I'll file this in Apache Jira.

Regards,
Toshi

Re: Can we remove OfflineMetaRepair in the master branch and branch-2+?

Posted by Toshihiro Suzuki <br...@apache.org>.
Thank you for your replies, guys!

Then, I will file this in Apache Jira.

> or better, as per Duo, output a message pointing user to hbck2 operator
tools
Sure, I will do that.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.

> Actually, I have seen several cases where some users ran OfflineMetaRepair
> mistakenly in their cluster and corrupted their meta data.

+1 to remove it, just had another of those this morning. There's
now HBASE-22680 to eventually port it to operators-tool as well.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.