Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2015/01/31 14:44:32 UTC

Software Grants for GitHub Projects...

Is there a "standard" within the incubator about how we go about
getting the appropriate forms filled out when we want to incubate a
project from GitHub?  GitHub fosters a sort of fly-by contribution
model (and that's a good thing), but it makes donating the code a bit
troublesome, because we need to make sure that all (to a certain
degree?) of the contributors do, in fact want to donate the code they
contributed to the foundation.

Note that this problem isn't necessarily unique to GitHub, but Git
itself somewhat highlights the issue because contributions from
outside parties (pull requests) do maintain metadata about their
original authors.  With SVN, typically someone with "karma" has to do
the commit and it gets tagged with their identity, so the audit trail
goes cold (comments can contain attributions, but that's hard to
report on).

Anyway, just looking for some guidance here.  We are trying to move
TinkerPop forward and how exactly we go about getting the forms filled
out properly is somewhat of a blocker.

Thanks,

James Carman, Assistant Secretary
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Software Grants for GitHub Projects...

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt, you're saying the same thing, except it's not one individual but two
> [1] (spmallette + okram) , who own the vast majority of the IP. They also
> claim to be in the possession of CLAs from the other contributors.
>
> The problem was not insufficient data to substantiate claims, but TMI.
> Secretary@ pushed back for that clear reason, the proposal for resubmission
> addressed that. If secretary@ will have additional concerns (including
> forwarding to legal@), we'll address them as they come.

Well, the situation you describe here is about 180 degrees removed
from the hypothetical that started this thread. So just about nothing
written on this thread is relevant. If two people can make in
conscience fill out an SGA, that's that.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.