Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2022/01/31 07:03:49 UTC

Jira or github?

Hi all,

So, are we expected to report issues in JIRA or in github?

Thanks,
Antonio

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 08:49, Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I record dependencies between GH issues ? I can of course just
> mention it - and the link will be lost somewhere in the issue conversation ?

That depends.  Taking a step back, what are you trying to do?
Particularly given we're (mostly) adopting the workflow from Airflow
covered in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632

There is no need for issues for anything that has a PR already.
GitHub issues is mainly about end user reports.  PRs are the primary
change record (and have been in practice for some time).

Mentions are tracked to an extent, not just lost in the text.  There
are GH action workflows that might allow issue dependencies to be
enhanced.

There is deliberately a maintainers only meta task, which can be used
(amongst other things) for grouping a series of issues in an
overarching ticket.

Are there concerns with that?  What else is actually required?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
How do I record dependencies between GH issues ? I can of course just
mention it - and the link will be lost somewhere in the issue conversation ?

-S.

RE: Jira or github?

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
Are we doing GitHub Issues instead of JIRA for the https://github.com/apache/netbeans-mavenutils-nbm-maven-plugin and other "netbeans-*" repos as well?

The readme at https://github.com/apache/netbeans-mavenutils-nbm-maven-plugin currently says "Bugs should be reported to https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANSINFRA/issues/ using the component MU - Apache NetBeans NBM maven plugin".

(I added https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANSINFRA-263 "NetBeans Module plugin fails to wrap Java 17 JARs", but I can refile as a GitHub issue if preferred.)

-- Eirik

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 14:08, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 17:24, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 16:57, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > asking can't hurt. If there is a flag we can set they know it for sure,
> > > if there isn't we would have to ask anyway :)
> >
> > True!  Have asked them to proceed anyway -
>
> I'm still waiting on infra@ about this, but will chase up.  In the
> meantime, I've put up the notice that goes with it at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANS/issues/NETBEANS-6470

Just a note that the permissions scheme on JIRA was finally changed to
match the linked issue above last week.

This means that new tickets on JIRA can only be created by PMC /
committers.  Hopefully there isn't an ongoing need for that(!)  If you
do feel a need to, please don't set to blocker, so that the existing
notice about GitHub move stays on top.

Comments should still be open to all, so that existing issues can be
discussed / migrated if required.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 16:57, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sure why not. The issues reported so far on gh have really good quality,
> seems like everything is working well (saw at least one new contributor
> too).

Yes!  So far so good.

Need to follow up and merge this too -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3513

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 04.02.22 17:31, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 09:49, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 08:11, Geertjan Wielenga
>> <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> GitHub, please.
>>>
>>> We need to set Jira to readonly soon.
>> Yes.  I was going to look at website, etc. this week.  We need to
>> update inbound links in a few places first.
>>
>> We probably want to remove the JIRA permission for users to create new
>> issues, but allow commenting and PMC issue creation to continue in the
>> short term.  At least, given we're following Airflow's recommendations
>> on migration, that's what they currently have I think.  We might have
>> to ask infra@ on that setup - not sure we have access to all required?
>>
>> See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/AIRFLOW/issues/AIRFLOW-7120
>> which we should do similar.
> The website links are now updated, and people clicking through to
> report issues from the IDE should be flowing through to GitHub
> already.
>
> So, initially the consensus thread talked about a full switch on
> release of NB13.  But should we bring that forward and request infra@
> disable all new issue creation (for normal users anyway) now?

sure why not. The issues reported so far on gh have really good quality,
seems like everything is working well (saw at least one new contributor
too).

> I don't see anything in the JIRA permissions available to do what
> Airflow have here without infra@ help?

asking can't hurt. If there is a flag we can set they know it for sure,
if there isn't we would have to ask anyway :)

-mbien

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 16:54, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hat to voice the opinion again, but just because there are issues that
> have not been worked in JIRA does not mean there are not issues.  If we
> make it read only, then those will remain orphaned tickets in JIRA ...

And I'll say it again, please read this document, and particularly the
section at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632#GitHubIssues/Discussions-Howtomigrate
 The idea has always been to follow that model quite closely.

And initially that means removing new issue creation permission, not
going entirely read-only, so that things that the community / reporter
think are important and still relevant can be opened, with all the
extra required info!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Jira or github?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
I hat to voice the opinion again, but just because there are issues that
have not been worked in JIRA does not mean there are not issues.  If we
make it read only, then those will remain orphaned tickets in JIRA.  So is
the plan to make read only, anyone wanting to finally work it migrate it
over (maybe referencing the old read only JIRA ticket)?  Is it possible to
add the Github Issue into the JIRA ticket or will it only be one way the
other way?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Jira or github?