Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Zoe <zo...@mac.com> on 2003/11/09 19:35:43 UTC

What about IMAP support?

Re: http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html

"IMAP development had been stalled, but has recently attracted new
activity. IMAP support is scheduled for inclusion in James v3. In the
meantime, there is experimental code in the repository. If you are
interested in working on or trying the IMAP prototype code, join the
james-dev mailing list and let us know."

Hello,

I'm involved in a little project named ZOE [1]. And I would like to
"try the IMAP prototype code" found in James CVS repository...

Here is a short rational:

"ZOE & IMAP"
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.zoe.general/2659

So far, we have identified three IMAP related projects at different
stage of development and/or abandonment:

- James IMAP
- JimapD https://hal.rescomp.berkeley.edu/~hossman/jimapd/
- Foedus http://foedus.sourceforge.net/

There is also a commercial offering from GoodServer. Unfortunately,
GoodServer site seems to be, er, missing for a while now.

In any case, the idea is to provide an IMAP interface to ZOE's email
archiving functionalities. This will not be a "traditional" IMAP server
in the sense that all the folder creation and email categorization is
going to be fully automatic.

So I would be interested to give James's IMAP protocol stack
implementation a go... but this implementation is somewhat intertwined
with James infrastructure... predominantly avalon, mailet and other
james utilities:

import org.apache.mailet.MailAddress;
import org.apache.mailet.MailRepository;
import org.apache.mailet.User;
import org.apache.mailet.UsersRepository;

import
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionHandler;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.Poolable;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.DefaultPool;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.HardResourceLimitingPool;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ObjectFactory;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.Pool;
import org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.Poolable;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.activity.Disposable;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.activity.Initializable;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.Configuration;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceManager;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.AbstractLogEnabled;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.ConsoleLogger;
import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled;

import org.apache.james.Constants;
import org.apache.james.util.watchdog.WatchdogTarget;
import org.apache.james.util.InternetPrintWriter;
import org.apache.james.core.AbstractJamesService;
import org.apache.james.core.MailImpl;
import org.apache.james.services.MailServer;
import org.apache.james.services.UsersStore;
import org.apache.james.util.watchdog.Watchdog;
import org.apache.james.util.watchdog.WatchdogFactory;

etc...

So my question is: would the James team be interested to extract the
IMAP protocol stack implementation to make it free standing so other
projects could reuse it for their own devious ends?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Cheers,

Z.

[1] http://zoe.nu/