Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Rhubarb <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/11 19:18:35 UTC

How do I add Camel Support to an existing application

I want to "open" up an application based product to enterprise integration
with Camel. That is, I want customers who buy my app to be able to provide
information to the app via Camel, without having to create a full public API
on my App.

I've read a lot of camel documentation, examples, even the book, but I'm
still having trouble getting started conceptually. First, I can get Camel
running: my app has Spring support, I just don't know how to "deploy" it.

Let me set up a huge oversimplification of the use case:

 o Let's say I want my app to pop up a dialog occasionally with a message in
it. My web app controls when the dialog pops up.
 o  I want the message to come from some other software system that the
customer owns - and I want that to be via Camel. (Could be ActiveMQ, could
be email, could be a file deposited somewhere, all the stuff that Camel
supports)
 o The customer has configured this message in my app at some earlier point,
with a key to the message to get. So it's an InOut exchange (in Camel
terms). In other words:
   o  At configuration time, customer says: "I have 'foo' messages that need
to be shown when the dialog pops".
   o  At runtime my app says: "Hey Camel, I'm about to show a dialog, do you
have a 'foo' message for me to show in it?"

That's it. Pretty simple, and I should be able to solve it easily based on
what I've read, but I can't quite grasp exactly where my case falls in the
examples and tutorials. I think the disconnect is that most of those are
solving specific integrations problems in a specific solution. Whereas I'm
opening up my app to a sort of general integration - I don’t have any
details on the customer side of the camel.

So to get to specific questions:

1. Should I make my App be a camel Endpoint? E.g. the customer sets up a
route to this dialog-popping feature in my app.

2. Does this mean I have to create a custom component? (seems overkill for
such a simple use case)

3. Who should actually run camel in this case, the customer, my app, or
both? (I think "run" camel means starting the CamelContext right? I can do
this in my app, no problem, but is that what I want?) Note that I can run
Camel and I think that's a good approach - to build Camel into my app, I'm
just not sure how that works from the customer side.

4. What are the specifics: Do I create a consumer or producer?

5. What does it look like from the Customer perspective? How do they send a
message to this endpoint? How do they get the request? Does the customer
need access to my API, or is Camel all they need? Do they also need to start
a CamelContext?

(Note sorry for cross posting, I also put this on Stackoverflow, but haven't
got any answers there. If you have an answer and want to reply there too,
for the glory and the rep, go for it - I'd really appreciate it)

thanks
rhubarb

Re: How do I add Camel Support to an existing application

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Some of the more open wide questions is harder to answer / help.

And this community is volunteer based so people dont always have the
time to help asap.

Yeah sure Camel can very likely do most of what you are looking for.

I suggest to study the EIPs and see which ones you can use.
http://camel.apache.org/eip

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Rhubarb <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> anyone - please?
> I put a bounty even over on SO - still no takers.
> Do I need to clarify something.

Claus Ibsen
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: How do I add Camel Support to an existing application

Posted by Rhubarb <ro...@gmail.com>.
anyone - please?