Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Venkata Surapaneni <vs...@imedx.com> on 2011/04/18 12:48:48 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.23 installation issues

Hi,

                I have installed Tomcat 5.5.23 on Windows 2008,32 bit  and Java 1.6.0_23 . The installation completed fine.

When I typed in localhost:8080 on the web page Tomcat home page is displayed indicating that Tomcat installation is done.

But when I type the ip address of the machine like 10.4.2.10:8080 instead of local host, Tomcat home page is not displayed.

I thought it may be something related to the host mapping and checked the hosts file in etc folder and it doesn't seem to have anything extra configured except the default.

Any idea why Tomcat is not working with the IP address?
Thanks in advance.

RE: Tomcat 5.5.23 installation issues

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
From: Venkata Surapaneni [mailto:vsurapaneni@imedx.com]
Subject: RE: Tomcat 5.5.23 installation issues

> > Is there any particular reason to use that version?

> There is no particular reason to use this version. I just need to
> stick to Tomcat 5 and so I downloaded the latest version available.

Except that would be 5.5.33, not 5.5.23.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat 5.5.23 installation issues

Posted by Venkata Surapaneni <vs...@imedx.com>.
0) Is there any particular reason to use that version?
        There is no particular reason to use this version. I just need to stick to Tomcat 5 and so I downloaded the latest version available.
1) Port 8080 may be bound to localhost rather than all ports.  netstat -an | find "8080" will tell you.  If it is, change Tomcat's server.xml appropriately.
        I tried the same by configuring on 80 port also. But the result is same. And no other application is using this port.
2) You may need to open up port 8080 on the firewall
        I need to try this but I am not sure if it will blocked with in the same network. But quite possible as this is in production network.

Thank you so much.

>                I have installed Tomcat 5.5.23 on Windows 2008,32 bit
> and Java 1.6.0_23 . The installation completed fine.
>
> When I typed in localhost:8080 on the web page Tomcat home page is
> displayed indicating that Tomcat installation is done.
>
> But when I type the ip address of the machine like 10.4.2.10:8080
> instead of local host, Tomcat home page is not displayed.
>
> I thought it may be something related to the host mapping and checked
> the hosts file in etc folder and it doesn't seem to have anything
> extra configured except the default.
>
> Any idea why Tomcat is not working with the IP address?
>
> 0) Is there any particular reason to use that version?

1) Port 8080 may be bound to localhost rather than all ports.  netstat -an | find "8080" will tell you.  If it is, change Tomcat's server.xml appropriately.

2) You may need to open up port 8080 on the firewall.

- Peter

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23 installation issues

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Venkata Surapaneni wrote:
> Hi,
>
>                 I have installed Tomcat 5.5.23 on Windows 2008,32 bit  and Java 1.6.0_23 . The installation completed fine.
>
> When I typed in localhost:8080 on the web page Tomcat home page is displayed indicating that Tomcat installation is done.

Where is the browser running ? on the same machine ?

> But when I type the ip address of the machine like 10.4.2.10:8080 instead of local host, Tomcat home page is not displayed.

and what is displayed ?

> I thought it may be something related to the host mapping and checked the hosts file in etc folder and it doesn't seem to have anything extra configured except the default.
>
> Any idea why Tomcat is not working with the IP address?

On the Win2008 server, start the Tomcat service.
Then open a command window an enter the command :

netstat -aobn -p tcp

After a while, you should get a display with lines like this :

TCP    0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:0              LISTEN         956
[tomcat5.exe]

Note all the lines mentioning [tomcat5.exe] in the last position, and the word LISTEN in
the 4th column (the other lines show other programs, and do not matter here).

In the first column is always "TCP".
In the second column, it shows all the IP addresses and ports on which Tomcat is listening
for connections.
For example above, it shows that Tomcat is listening on the IP address "0.0.0.0", and port
8080. "0.0.0.0" is a special address, which means "all IP addresses of this machine".

What does it show on your system ?

(copy and paste the relevant lines here, in your message.  Do not put it in an attachment,
this list generally strips attachments).