Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2010/12/16 20:37:17 UTC

maven build doesn't work for me (was Re: 1.3.2 release?)

Hi,

Am 06.12.2010 14:36, schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/12/10 07:31, Andreas Lehmkuehler wrote:
> Excellent, the more release managers we have the better! See
> http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html for the standard Maven
> release process that I've tried to make also PDFBox use. Hopefully that's enough
> documentation, but I'll be happy to describe things in more detail if needed.

I followed the given description, "mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true" works
like a charm. Whenever I run "mvn release:prepare" I got the attached error. Any
ideas what went wrong? Am I missing something?

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

[INFO] [INFO] [apache-rat:check {execution: default}]
[INFO] [INFO] Exclude: release.properties
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] Building Apache PDFBox
[INFO] [INFO]    task-segment: [clean, verify]
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] [INFO] Deleting file set:
/home/lehmi/workspace/temp/PDFBox-1.4.0/pdfbox/target (included: [**], excluded: [])
[INFO] Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/pdfbox/fontbox/1.4.0/fontbox-1.4.0.jar
[INFO] [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.apache.pdfbox:fontbox:jar:1.4.0' in
repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO] Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/pdfbox/jempbox/1.4.0/jempbox-1.4.0.jar
[INFO] [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.apache.pdfbox:jempbox:jar:1.4.0' in
repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
[INFO]
[INFO] Missing:
[INFO] ----------
[INFO] 1) org.apache.pdfbox:fontbox:jar:1.4.0
[INFO]
[INFO]   Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
[INFO]
[INFO]   Then, install it using the command:
[INFO]       mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.pdfbox
-DartifactId=fontbox -Dversion=1.4.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
[INFO]
[INFO]   Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file
there:
[INFO]       mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.pdfbox
-DartifactId=fontbox -Dversion=1.4.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
-Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
[INFO]
[INFO]   Path to dependency:
[INFO]   	1) org.apache.pdfbox:pdfbox:bundle:1.4.0
[INFO]   	2) org.apache.pdfbox:fontbox:jar:1.4.0
[INFO]
[INFO] 2) org.apache.pdfbox:jempbox:jar:1.4.0
[INFO]
[INFO]   Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
[INFO]
[INFO]   Then, install it using the command:
[INFO]       mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.pdfbox
-DartifactId=jempbox -Dversion=1.4.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
[INFO]
[INFO]   Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file
there:
[INFO]       mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.pdfbox
-DartifactId=jempbox -Dversion=1.4.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
-Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
[INFO]
[INFO]   Path to dependency:
[INFO]   	1) org.apache.pdfbox:pdfbox:bundle:1.4.0
[INFO]   	2) org.apache.pdfbox:jempbox:jar:1.4.0
[INFO]
[INFO] ----------
[INFO] 2 required artifacts are missing.
[INFO]
[INFO] for artifact:
[INFO]   org.apache.pdfbox:pdfbox:bundle:1.4.0
[INFO]
[INFO] from the specified remote repositories:
[INFO]   apache.snapshots (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots),
[INFO]   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] Total time: 26 seconds
[INFO] [INFO] Finished at: Thu Dec 16 20:30:05 CET 2010
[INFO] [INFO] Final Memory: 55M/380M
[INFO] [INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Maven execution failed, exit code: '1'

[INFO] Total time: 43 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Dec 16 20:30:05 CET 2010
[INFO] Final Memory: 25M/253M

Re: maven build doesn't work for me (was Re: 1.3.2 release?)

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 17.12.2010 00:05, schrieb Jukka Zitting:

> From: Andreas Lehmkuehler [mailto:andreas@lehmi.de]
>> I followed the given description, "mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true"
>> works like a charm. Whenever I run "mvn release:prepare" I got the
>> attached error. Any ideas what went wrong? Am I missing something?
>
> It's the bundle plugin (i.e.<packaging>bundle</packaging>) that's making
> it difficult for Maven to detect that a required jar artifact is already
> present in the test build that mvn release:prepare runs. You can work
> around the problem by running "mvn install" and then restarting
> "mvn release:prepare". The second release:prepare run will automatically
> pick up from where it left at the first time.
That did the trick. Thanks for hint.

After solving another issue concerning scp to people.a.o (thanks to the infra
guys, they are amazing) I was finally able to publish the release candidate.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: maven build doesn't work for me (was Re: 1.3.2 release?)

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 20.12.2010 10:58, schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> Hi,
>
> From: Andreas Lehmkuehler [mailto:andreas@lehmi.de]
>> There is one question left. I promoted the release within nexus. Do I
>> have to copy the release somewhere by hand or will this all done by nexus?
>
> Nexus takes care of uploading the artifacts to Maven Central.
>
> You still need to manually copy the artifacts in http://people.apache.org/~lehmi/pdfbox/1.4.0/ to /www/www.apache.org/dist/pdfbox/1.4.0 on people.apache.org and update the links on the PDFBox download page accordingly.
I copied the files and I will update the download as soon as the new release is
available.

One very last question. I realized that you created the 1.3-branch using maven.
The standard release process at [1] doesn't mention that step, so that I did
that manually. Is it correct that one have to use something like [2] for
future releases?

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
[2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/branch.html

RE: maven build doesn't work for me (was Re: 1.3.2 release?)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <jz...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

From: Andreas Lehmkuehler [mailto:andreas@lehmi.de]
> There is one question left. I promoted the release within nexus. Do I
> have to copy the release somewhere by hand or will this all done by nexus?

Nexus takes care of uploading the artifacts to Maven Central.

You still need to manually copy the artifacts in http://people.apache.org/~lehmi/pdfbox/1.4.0/ to /www/www.apache.org/dist/pdfbox/1.4.0 on people.apache.org and update the links on the PDFBox download page accordingly.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: maven build doesn't work for me (was Re: 1.3.2 release?)

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <jz...@adobe.com>.
Hi,