Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Greg Wilson <gv...@third-bit.com> on 2011/06/07 21:41:37 UTC

contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"

Hello,

We just released a book titled "The Architecture of Open Source
Applications", the content of which is also available online under a
Creative Commons license at http://aosabook.org. The project's
over-arching aim is to show people how complex applications are
designed, and why they are designed that way; as we say in the
introduction, we want people to explain what the major components of
their applications, how they work together (or don't), and most
importantly, why that design was chosen, and what has been learned along
the way.

We are now gearing up to do a second volume, and are looking for
contributions that reflect and encourage diverse participation in open
source software development. If you might be willing to write a
chapter-length description of a medium-to-large open source application
that you have worked on, or if you know someone who might want to do so,
please get in touch with us at aosa@aosabook.org. Please note that all
royalties from sales will be donated directly to Amnesty International,
so you'll be helping a couple of good causes at once.

Thanks for your time --- we look forward to hearing from you.
Greg Wilson (http://third-bit.com)

Re: contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"

Posted by Lily Wei <li...@gmail.com>.

> I've also gotten in touch with the editors of the book and they are happy to include Derby in their book!
Wow! Awesome!!!! Can not wait to read it.

Thanks,
Lily

Re: Fwd: contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net> wrote:
> Thank you for all the encouragement and support!
> Rick, I think it's a great idea to make it an iterative process. I will
> create a wiki page soon with the outline.
> Thank you as well, Bryan, I will have a look at what's already available and
> see what I can get from that.
> I've also gotten in touch with the editors of the book and they are happy to
> include Derby in their book!
> Regards,
> Tiago
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/08/2011 03:55 AM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
>>>
>>> contributing a chapter about Derby to this book.
>>>
>>> would the community be ok if I go ahead with it?
>>
>> I think it's a wonderful idea! Your writing style is great and you
>> will bring a lot to the project.
>>
>> Regardless of whether or not they are interested in material about Derby,
>> it would be wonderful if you could do some writing about Derby and
>> we could host it on the Apache website. We already have a "books and
>> papers"
>> section, and some updated material there would be excellent.
>>
>> My only suggestion is, you might want to look through the existing
>> book (which is quite interesting btw) and read at least a few of
>> the chapters that are already there, to get a feel for the type of
>> material they're looking for.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> bryan

Very interesting. Thanks for taking this on, Tiago.
Myrna

Re: Fwd: contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"

Posted by Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>.

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 6/8/11 5:44 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Tiago,
>
> I think it's great that you want to write a chapter on Derby for this
> book. To maximize the value of community review, I'd recommend an
> incremental approach something like this:
>
> 1) Circulate your proposed table of contents. I'm hoping you'll get a
> lot of good feedback at this stage.
Since this is just a (long) chapter, make that an outline rather than a
TOC...

> 2) Circulate a sample chapter. It's best to get feedback on your style
> and approach early on.
...and make this a sample section.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Tiago,

Posted by Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>.
Hi everyone,

We got this message on the ASF community mailing list and I was wondering if
any of the Derby veterans were planning on contributing a chapter about
Derby to this book.