Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Philip Poulteney <ph...@fastmail.fm> on 2013/03/03 19:26:13 UTC

Fwd: Re: Open Office on my wife's Mac

Hi,

The file that downloaded spawned a window with 3 folders and the
OpenOffice Icon.

The window shows and arrow from the Open Office Icon pointing to the
applications folder.

The other folders are readme and something else.

I dragged the Open Office Icon to my wife's applications folder and it
seemed to take a while copying it across with a progress bar.

I then double clicked the icon in the applications folder and a question
mark displayed on her tool bar at the bottom of the screen.

When you click this questionmark the Open Office Icon appeared in it's
place.

When you click it again it seems to jump up and down the 1st time then
appears static but no windows open?

Warm Regards
Phil

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-03-03 12:26 PM Philip Poulteney wrote concerning "Fwd: Re: Open Office on my wife's Mac":
> Hi,
>
> The file that downloaded spawned a window with 3 folders and the
> OpenOffice Icon.
>
> The window shows and arrow from the Open Office Icon pointing to the
> applications folder.
>
> The other folders are readme and something else.

The .dmg you downloaded contains OpenOffice.org.app, a shortcut to the Applications folder, a
READMEs folder, and a LICENSEs folder.

> I dragged the Open Office Icon to my wife's applications folder and it
> seemed to take a while copying it across with a progress bar.
>
> I then double clicked the icon in the applications folder and a question
> mark displayed on her tool bar at the bottom of the screen.

Did it finish copying? The name in your Applications folder should be OpenOffice.org.app . It
should be about 427.1 MB. To see the extension (.app) you need to open Finder, then click on
Finder in the menubar, then click Preferences. Click Advanced, the check "Show all filename
extensions".

> When you click this questionmark the Open Office Icon appeared in it's
> place.
>
> When you click it again it seems to jump up and down the 1st time then
> appears static but no windows open?

A new feature of Mountain Lion is Gatekeeper. It may be preventing AOO from running. See the
following from the AOO release notes at http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html

    Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 will be flagged by the new Gatekeeper facility in OS X
    Mountain Lion. This is a new feature to help guard against malware on Mac systems. There is
    a procedure laid out at the following link to allow applications not installed from the Mac
    App store to run. See the article at Mac support at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290.

--