Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/11 18:07:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] ActiveMQ and Artemis Store based tooling

I wanted to see what everyone thought about creating a new ActiveMQ sub
project for store based tooling for both 5.x and Artemis.  The idea here
would be able to support a command line tool that could eventually do a
variety of things such as:

*import/export a store into other formats like XML
*exporting a subset of messages (maybe a single destination)
*migration from a 5.x based store like KahaDB to an Artemis store to help
with people trying to upgrade to Artemis
*For KahaDB, things like store compaction, OpenWire upgrades, etc.

Plus I'm sure there are plenty of other useful things that people might
think of.

Artemis already has some support for this (such as exporting to XML) so
maybe some of that could be moved into this project if it is created.

What does everyone think?

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ and Artemis Store based tooling

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I have open a JIRA somewhere for ActiveMQ to implement an export / import tool.

Artemis has an export / import tool, and the format is supposed to be
independent and easy to be implemented on ActiveMQ5.. it would be a
nice feature...

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ and Artemis Store based tooling

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I had created this one:

and Hiram had this one created long ago. such feature would also make
it possible to migrade from different message store types on AMQ5:

This was extracted from the ./artemis data exp  command after the
broker was stopped. and it would be easy/possible to be implemented on
AMQ5.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<activemq-journal>

   <bindings>

      <binding address="jms.queue.DLQ" filter-string=""
queue-name="jms.queue.DLQ" id="2"/>

      <binding address="jms.queue.ExpiryQueue" filter-string=""
queue-name="jms.queue.ExpiryQueue" id="4"/>

      <binding address="jms.queue.TEST" filter-string=""
queue-name="jms.queue.TEST" id="8"/>

   </bindings>

   <jms-connection-factories>

   </jms-connection-factories>

   <jms-destinations>

   </jms-destinations>

   <messages>

      <message id="16" priority="4" expiration="0"
timestamp="1447353944618" type="text"
user-id="94d6497b-896d-11e5-8973-d98bded9fb14">

         <properties>

            <property name="__AMQ_CID"
value="94bddf72-896d-11e5-8973-d98bded9fb14" type="simple-string"/>

            <property name="count" value="6" type="integer"/>

            <property name="ThreadSent" value="Producer
ActiveMQQueue[TEST], thread=0" type="simple-string"/>

         </properties>

         <queues>

            <queue name="jms.queue.TEST"/>

         </queues>

            <![CDATA[AQAAAB50AGUAcwB0ACAAbQBlAHMAcwBhAGcAZQA6ACAANgA=]]>

      </message>

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ and Artemis Store based tooling

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
On 11/11/15 17:07, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> I wanted to see what everyone thought about creating a new ActiveMQ sub
> project for store based tooling for both 5.x and Artemis.  The idea here
> would be able to support a command line tool that could eventually do a
> variety of things such as:
>
> *import/export a store into other formats like XML
> *exporting a subset of messages (maybe a single destination)
> *migration from a 5.x based store like KahaDB to an Artemis store to help
> with people trying to upgrade to Artemis
> *For KahaDB, things like store compaction, OpenWire upgrades, etc.
>
> Plus I'm sure there are plenty of other useful things that people might
> think of.
>
> Artemis already has some support for this (such as exporting to XML) so
> maybe some of that could be moved into this project if it is created.
>
> What does everyone think?
This sounds like an excellent idea.

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ and Artemis Store based tooling

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 11/11/2015 12:07 PM, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> I wanted to see what everyone thought about creating a new ActiveMQ sub
> project for store based tooling for both 5.x and Artemis.  The idea here
> would be able to support a command line tool that could eventually do a
> variety of things such as:
>
> *import/export a store into other formats like XML
> *exporting a subset of messages (maybe a single destination)
> *migration from a 5.x based store like KahaDB to an Artemis store to help
> with people trying to upgrade to Artemis
> *For KahaDB, things like store compaction, OpenWire upgrades, etc.
>
> Plus I'm sure there are plenty of other useful things that people might
> think of.
>
> Artemis already has some support for this (such as exporting to XML) so
> maybe some of that could be moved into this project if it is created.
>
> What does everyone think?

I think there's a lot of merit here given that there has been requests
in the past for tooling around KahaDB like off-line store browsing etc.
Having a separate project that follows it's own release cycle could be a
nice way to let something grow that isn't tied to our slower broker
release cycles and it could produce artifacts that could be consumed by
ActiveMQ or Artemis to provide the same functionality as their current
CLI tools for working with their message stores.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.