Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rozanne Stoman <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/01 11:44:29 UTC

Tomcat startup fails after re-startup

Hi,

I have installed Tomcat4.0.4 (a later version also,
with similar results), on Microsoft XP. I followed the
basic installation instructions, namely setting the
JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME environment variables
(system, not user env. variables), adding
C:\tomcat4\common\lib\servlet.jar;.; to the classpath
and then testing the server. I work on port 8080,
because my servlets need to run alongside IIS. I
compiled and ran a number of servlets successfully
until I had to end a process abruptly (using END TASK)
because my system was running extremely slow (I assume
as a result of the memory leak discussed in the server
documentation).

After doing this, I was not able to start the server
again, and continuously got the
java.lang.classnotfound errors. I uninstalled, and
re-installed a number of times, but to no avail.

I then tried the process on a different client machine
on our WindowsNT network, this one using Windows98.
The installation worked initially, but only using the
Domain Administrator login, which leads me to think
that this may involve some security issues. With an
ordinary user login, the "-DIRS " error message would
be displayed. After stopping and restarting the tomcat
server, I get the following errors: (ROOT CAUSE
DESCRIPTION) java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.processJars(TldLocationsCache.java:202)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.<init>(TldLocationsCache.java:139)
	at
org.apache.jasper.EmbededServletOptions.<init>(EmbededServletOptions.java:350)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.init(JspServlet.java:265)

On another machine, Windows2000, I was successful for
some hours yesterday, left the machine overnight
(without logging out) but had the same problem when I
tried this morning. It seems that if I stop the server
using the shutdown.bat file, and restart it again,
something goes wrong.

In each case, the server logs gives a number of class
not found errors, and the browser view indicates an
internal server error.

Any ideas? Perhaps some security issue that I need to
deal with?

Thanks,
Rozanne