Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com> on 2013/07/23 19:25:02 UTC

AMI Import questions

I was looking at the docs for importing AWS AMIs:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Admin_Guide/import-ami.html
and I am confused/have questions by a few of the steps.

step 2: Install kernel-xen:
Why does this have to be done?  If the AMI already runs in PV mode doesn't
that mean it already has a xen aware kernel?

step 3: Create grub entry:
This step is mis-labeled.  It is clearing out the grub.conf file to create
a new one later in step 5.

step 8: Ensure ramdisk supports PV disk and network:
Again why is this necessary.  Wasn't this required for the AMI to work in
PV mode in the first place.  I guess if you actually do step 2 then you
probably need to do this step too.

Regarding steps 14-17. Is it ok to do this on one of my hosts that is
managed by cloudstack and then destroy the vdi after grabbing the vhd? i.e.
behind CS's back.

thanks
-Carlos