Posted to wiki-changes@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/04/06 00:27:11 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "ApacheVirtualHostMysql" by ChrisPepper

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by ChrisPepper:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ApacheVirtualHostMysql

The comment on the change is:
Lots of minor cleanup

  == Introduction ==
- Here you'll find an example on how to do name based virtual hosting using mod_perl and mysql.
+ Here you'll find an example of how to do name-based virtual hosting using mod_perl and mysql.

- This works for my needs but most likely you will have to change a lot to get it to do what you want.
+ This works for my needs but most likely you will have to change parts to get what you want.
- Everything covered here is fairly advance and I'm under the assumption you know your way around Apache, MySQL and Perl.
+ Everything covered here is fairly advanced and I'll assume you know your way around Apache, MySQL and Perl.

  I tried to make it as portable as possible.
- It should work with minimum changes on any linux system and with few more on windows aswel (tested)
+ It should work with a minimum changes on any Linux system, and with more on Windows as well.

- '''note: if you experience problems you can try to contact me on #apache (ask for sjorge)'''
+ '''Note: If you experience problems you can try to contact me on #apache (ask for sjorge)'''

  == Requirements ==
   1. perl
@@ -17, +17 @@

    1. mod_perl
    2. mod_dav / mod_dav_fs
    3. mod_authn_dbd
-   4. libphp5 (can be left out - changes to the files are needed)
+   4. libphp5 (can be left out -- changes to the files are needed)
-  3. MySQL server (other database server will work if there is are DBI an DBD drivers available - changes to the files are needed)
+  3. MySQL server (another database server will work if there are DBI and DBD drivers available -- changes to the files are needed)

  == General Setup ==

@@ -43, +43 @@

  || ''$name''/httpdocs || document root||

  == Setting up the database ==
- First we need a database to place our hosts.
+ First we need a database to hold our host configuration.

- Use the mysql client or phpMyAdmin or similar to create the database.
+ Use the MySQL client, or phpMyAdmin, or some other means, to create the database.
  You can get the database template [http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ApacheVirtualHostMysql/database here]

  You also need to create a user with access to that database.
@@ -54, +54 @@

   * more information on the database will follow later

  == Configuring httpd ==
- '''note: replace /srv/httpd with your own !ServerRoot!!'''
+ '''Note: Replace /srv/httpd with your own !ServerRoot!!'''

- Download all .conf and .tmpl files provided in the '''General Setup''' section and save them in the correct location.
+ Download all .conf and .tmpl files provided in the '''General Setup''' section and save them in the correct locations.

  Edit httpd.conf and change:
   * ServerRoot
@@ -69, +69 @@

   * db user
   * db pass

-  * host http_tmpl path (full path!!)
+  * host http_tmpl path (full path!)
-  * host dav_tmpl path (full path!!)
+  * host dav_tmpl path (full path!)
-  * host path (full path!!)
+  * host path (full path!)

  Edit http.tmpl and webdav.tmpl and change:
   * all /srv/httpd occurrences to your ServerRoot

- You should be good to go. Feel free to make more changes to the templates and or the configuration files
+ You should be good to go. Feel free to make more changes to the templates and configuration files

- == Adding a hosts ==
+ == Adding a host ==
- Use the mysql client or phpMyAdmin or similar to access the database.
+ Use the MySQL client or phpMyAdmin, or another means, to access the database.

  === adding host entry ===
  {{{
  INSERT INTO hosts VALUES(null, 'localhost', 1, 0, 0, 0, 0);
  }}}
- || value || description ||
+ || '''value''' || '''description''' ||
- || null || auto increment host id ||
+ || null || auto-increment host ID ||
  || 'localhost' || host name ||
  || 1 || enable (0 to disable the host) ||
  || 0 || disable webdav (1 to enable) ||
  || 0 || disable cgi (1 to enable) ||
- || 0 || disable server side included (1 to enable) ||
+ || 0 || disable Server Side Includes (1 to enable) ||
  || 0 || disable php (1 to enable) ||

- (Re)start apache and the new vhosts will be available (you need to provide the -DDAV flag to enable webdav on the server)
+ (Re)start httpd and the new vhosts will be available (you need to provide the -DDAV flag to enable webdav on the server)

- '''note: The directories for this vhost will be created automatically when apache is (re)started!'''
+ '''Note: The directories for this vhost will be created automatically when apache is (re)started!'''
+
- '''note: Removal isn't automatic, if you remove a host + aliases + users + configuration the files will remain)
+ '''Note: Removal isn't automatic, if you remove a host + aliases + users + configuration the files will remain)
+
- '''note: I recommend adding localhost as your first vhost. All request with and unknown host header will go to this host.'''
+ '''Note: I recommend adding localhost as your first vhost. All request with and unknown host header will go to this host.'''

  === adding users (require/optional) ===
  Only require when you enable webdav for a host.
  {{{
  INSERT INTO users VALUES(null, 1, 'user', 'apache-encrypted-password', 'dav');
  }}}
- || value || description ||
+ || '''value''' || '''description''' ||
  || null || auto increment user id ||
  || 1 || host id user belongs too (check hosts table to get it) ||
  || 'user' || user name ||