Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@apache.org> on 2007/06/29 01:45:44 UTC

[VOTE] Release VelocityTools 2.0-alpha1 (Take 2)

Ok, here goes again.  The problem with the source build has been fixed
and my refactorings from this morning are now included.  Sorry that we
have to do this again, but here goes:

The new test build for this release is once again available at:
http://people.apache.org/~nbubna/velocity/tools/2.0-alpha1/

Check out the release artifacts, play with an example, and vote! :)

[ ] +1 Let's do it
[ ] +0 Have fun; i don't care.
[ ] -0  Not sure about this, but i won't stop you.
[ ] -1 No, because __________________

The voting period is typically 72 hours, but i won't wrap it up until
the morning of Monday, July 2 at the earliest.  If there aren't enough +1s
and no -1s, then the vote will stay open until either i'm tired of
waiting or all PMC members have voted. :)

My vote is +1

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release VelocityTools 2.0-alpha1 (Take 2)

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 7/2/07, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Glad it passed. Just a weekend is a bit short.

i don't think so, but if it helps, i'm willing to give more time in
the future.  what would better fit your schedule?

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
The vote has passed:

Re: [VOTE] Release VelocityTools 2.0-alpha1 (Take 2)

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 6/30/07, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:
> Le vendredi 29 juin 2007 à 14:25 -0700, Nathan Bubna a écrit :
> > On 6/28/07, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > -1.  (sorry!)
> > >
> > > There are no docs.  All the generated doc files in the binary distro have
> > > size of 0KB.  In the source distro, typing "ant docs" also produces bad
> > > docs.
> >
> > Claude, this seems to be some issue with DVSL.  It looks like the 2.x
> > branch is still on 0.43 while the trunk is using 1.0-dev.  Which i
> > don't appear to have in my filesystem currently, so the 1.x trunk
> > isn't building for me either.   What's the status of DVSL right now?
> > Any chance you could give me a hand getting docs building again? :)
>
> DVSL 1.0 is ready for an RC, I lacked some time to push it out (yet one
> week of hard work and I'm on vacation).
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> For Tools 1.x: The DVSL ant task has changed from
> o.a.tools.dvsl.DVSLTask package to o.a.dvsl.DVSLTask package. To make
> Gump happy, I made the build.xml in tools 1.x trunk now use the new
> package to declare the DVSL ant task, but it wasn't a really good
> solution since Gump is the only one happy. So I'm gonna roll this back
> and put a deprecated class in the old DVSL package. It's better for BC
> and even if the next 1.x tools release is made before DVSL there won't
> be any problem.

that sounds like a good plan

> But for Tools 2.x, which is still using dvsl-0.43, it's a totally
> different problem: it's simply that the published dvsl-0.43 binary (as
> long as the 0.44 and 0.45 ones) doesn't work with velocity-1.5 (it just
> needed to be recompiled). So to build the docs there is no other real
> solution today than building dvsl-1.0-dev manually, copy it to the lib,
> and edit build.xml to use o.a.dvsl.DVSLTask.

hmm.  or hack the docs build to use velocity 1.4, right?  probably not
worth it, since 2.0 final probably won't come before DVSL 1.0

> It'd be cool to release DVSL 1.0 quite soon, wouldn't it? I'll try to
> initiate it and start the vote on sunday evening - I'll be offline
> during the w-e.

that would be great.  i see no reason to wait.  once the deprecated
DVSLTask subclass discussed above is added.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/07, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:
> I tested it in a real webapp and it seems ok...
> The new api is really much cleaner than the 1.x, that's a pleasure to
> use it!

good to hear!

> There are some small developments I'd like to commit in but they are not
> ready and will wait for the 2.1 release.

we're only in alpha stage right now.  unless they're really drastic, i
think they should go in now.  To me, "alpha" means "the big
refactorings and core infrastructure is done; here's something to
*start* working with.  expect some changes."   I'm likely to make more
than a few small developments too.

> so,
>
> +1
>
> One remark: when fully rebuilding I saw that there remains some internal
> references to deprecated classes, like to the old ToolInfo class in
> o.a.v.tools.view package, that could easily be changed.

it's something we need to consider.  at this point, i've decided to
leave the old core infrastructure in place and deprecated.  i know
there's not likely to be many people who directly interacted with it
(and thus we probably can yank it), but it's not really hurting
anything and might still be useful in some way i haven't foreseen.

also, i have occasionally thought that it might be nice to break the
many deprecated class out into a separate "backwards compatible"
build, but then we're basically talking about doubling the number of
jars we distribute.  since we already put out three, that seemed like
overkill.

anyway, all that is to say, we should have a discussion at some point
about whether and/or how long we want to leave the various deprecated
pieces (support for old toolbox format, support for Tools with init()
methods, and the old tool management infrastructure) in place.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
-1.  (sorry!)