Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/19 15:42:32 UTC

Generate JARs to try out the examples

Hello,

I would like to generate the JARs to try out the examples.

*./mvnw install -P build-executable-jars -DskipTests*

shows

*WARNING: The requested profile "build-executable-jars" could not be
activated because it does not exist.*

The reason is probably that this profile is not defined in the main
pom.xml, but in the folder *plc4x/plc4j/examples*

Can someone please let me know the correct Maven command to generate the
JAR files so that I can create the examples? Thank you.

Best regards,
Kai Waehner

Re: Generate JARs to try out the examples

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hey,

fine, if you are already in contact with CC then its fine nonetheless (Chris is on holiday currently).

Julian

Von: Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>
Antworten an: "megachucky@gmail.com" <me...@gmail.com>
Datum: Montag, 22. Juli 2019 um 14:48
An: Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>
Cc: "dev@plc4x.apache.org" <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: Generate JARs to try out the examples

Thanks for the details. Sounds perfect.

I have a call with Uwe in 15min anyway. I will then ask Chris for access.

My testing is just for technical evaluation and learning (so also no high volume), so no specific use case. Having said this, I see a lot of added value and demand at several projects. I am very sure the AHA effect will show up quickly in these projects.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:18 PM Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>> wrote:
Hey Kai,

we have Hardware in the codecentric IoT Lab and you can request access to it (via Chris Dutz).
We also have a driver for OPC UA where there exist multiple free tools.

But, yes, the basic idea is to map all those proprietary protocols to a nice JDBC Like interface, so the most “AHA” you get out of using it against a real one.

If you could / would elaborate a bit about your use cases or your ideas you can of course ask Chris for an access to the codecentric IoT Lab and test against real PLCs via remote.

Julian

Von: Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>>
Antworten an: "megachucky@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>" <me...@gmail.com>>
Datum: Montag, 22. Juli 2019 um 13:13
An: Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>>
Cc: "dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org>" <de...@plc4x.apache.org>>

No, I don't have a PLC.

But from your response I understand that you need one to use PLC4X even for Hello World examples.

I assume there is no "free / open test generator" as all of these protocols are proprietary and not using any standards (this is the main motivation for the PLC4X project).

I saw FactoryIO (https://factoryio.com/editions/) in one of the PLC4X videos on Youtube. I could use it and its S7 emulator for a hello world with the 30 day trial. Is this the best / easiest option if you don't have any hardware?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 8:40 PM Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>> wrote:
Hey Kai,

Indeed our documentation could be a bit better :)
So you do not have a real plc to check against?
The hello plc4x example is made for connecting to a Siemens S7 device, I think.
So you can give it a IP and a field address of a Siemens S7 plc and it will fetch the results.
Regarding the demo driver...i have to check (when by daughter finally decides to sleep... :) and respond then back to you.

Julian

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Von: Kai Wähner
An: Julian Feinauer
Cc: dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org>
Thanks. I wasn't aware you can use more than one profile. I can confirm that the built now works and generates the JARs.

Can you also point me to some documentation or example how to send some hello world messages using a hello world driver? I assume I have to use DummyDriver somehow?

⇒   java -cp /Users/kai.waehner/git-projects/plc4x/plc4j/examples/hello-world-plc4x/target/plc4j-hello-world-plc4x-0.5.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar org.apache.plc4x.java.examples.helloplc4x.HelloPlc4x
Missing required options: connection-string, field-addresses
usage: HelloPlc4x
    --connection-string <arg>   Connection String
    --field-addresses <arg>     Field Addresses (Space separated).

Looks like there is no complete getting started example available somewhere? After I have it running, I am happy to write a more detailed summary and create a PR for the readme file.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 5:47 PM Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>> wrote:
Hi Kai,

I think you need the profile "with-java" (cannot check it right now).
So you would need to add "-Pwith-java" to the mvn cl string.

Julian

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Betreff: Generate JARs to try out the examples

Posted by Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Matthias.

This sounds great for a first start. I will also sync with Chris next week
about the Codecentric IoT lab.

This should be sufficient for getting started.

Kai

Posted by Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>.
No, I don't have a PLC.

AW: Generate JARs to try out the examples

Posted by Kai Wähner <me...@gmail.com>.